Express HD 2.5 Steals Focus from active window

spindlehead

Express HD 2.5 came with my iOmega network hard drive. When running in the background (ie UI is closed but process is still active in task tray) Express will steal focus from from the active window every 5 minutes or so. I have verified that Express is definitely the process stealing focus.

Looking previous closed threads going back to 2007 describing and acknowledging the issue, it doesn't seem that the focus-stealing will be corrected. I don't care because I have a workaround. I just have a question about my work around.

Work around:

- Disabled Retrospect from starting at starup

- Scheduled a task to launch Retrospect 15 minutes before scheduled backup time

- Wrote a batch file to kill Retrospect process 4 hours later

taskkill /f /IM retroexpress.exe

taskkill /f /IM retrospect.exe

taskkill /f /IM retrorun.exe

It works! As long as Express isn't running, nothing steals focus from the active window. Here's the question:

As long as my backup has completed before I kill those processes, will there be any negative impact on the Express software or my backups?

Thanks,

Shannon

XP Media Center Edition, SP3, all updates current. Express HD 2.5 is up to date.

Wow, 86 views of this topic to date.

Any help, Robin Mayoff?

So far, using Windows task scheduler to launch, then later kill, the Retrospect software is working fine. Express is only active when I'm not using the computer. I'd just like some assurance that force-killing the processes after the back-up won't hurt my restore points.

Wow, 86 views of this topic to date.

Any help, Robin Mayoff?

Shannon,

Perhaps you misunderstand. These are user-to-user support forums, and we are just users like you are. See the Retrospect Forum Rules:

This forum is a community based self help tool for users of the Retrospect Backup Software and other EMC Insignia Products....

While this forum is monitored by members of the EMC Technical Support team, it is not possible to reply to all questions and threads. This forum is not an official method for contacting technical support. EMC employees are under no obligation to reply to individual forum posts. If you need immediate technical support, you can contact technical support directly at http://www.emcinsignia.com/contactsupport

This problem is not one that is going to be solved in these user-to-user forums. I suggest that you contact EMC Retrospect support at the link above.

Russ

My apologies and thanks, Russ. I'll contact tech support. Robin has kindly responded to other requests/comments like mine in these forums, including users complaining about my exact issue. I was hoping he could validate my work-around since he has previously responded to others that "this is a known issue on the bug stack."