Rules-Selecting Users folder without Movies and Music

ChS

I can't believe I've got to set a path name in order to get this to work

I don't understand; Retrospect has always used paths and names in constructing Filters/Rules.

Now I've for a long time wanted to have Retrospect be able to exclude a Favorite Folder (aka Defined Subfolder) from a Backup without having to scan its contents first, but without that capability paths/names/labels, etc are all we have.

Lo and behold, there they were

[color:purple]snip[/color]

I can't afford to not have this data backed up

Here's my confusion; is it a problem with more data backed up then you expect or less?

Dave

Here's my confusion; is it a problem with more data backed up then you expect or less?

Dave

Dave,

Before I took the plunge in restoring the test data I had just backed up, I "Previewed" to see what had been backed up. What I saw was that the "Applications" folder did not have the full applications within it. I thought my "Rule" had worked which was to exclude the contents of the Applications folder from being backed up. So to answer your question, yes more data was backed up than what I called for in my "Rule". Same thing goes for the Music, Sites, Downloads, Movies, Pictures,...folders

What say ye?

Peter

I say "I have no idea what you did wrong in constructing your Rule, since you did not provide the exact syntax or a screen shot, and that you caused confusion when you conflated extraneous data with omitted data."

I know it sounds cynical, but having worked tech support my number one rule is always "users lie," with my number two rule being "users inadvertently provide incomplete or inaccurate information." So without specific, incontrovertible evidence and/or information I always lean towards User Error.

Let's see the syntax of the Rule being used; perhaps it really is a(nother) Retrospect bug.

Dave

Dave,

I'm at the casa today so I can't give you a screen shot. Plus I took that server off-line on Friday so I wouldn't have access to it anyway using ARD. From memory though I believe the in the "Exclusions" area I have it saying "Folder is Applications". I also used "Folder contains Applications"

This is after all what the video tutorial says to do.

I guess I can't include a screen shot with this post but the long and short of it reads.

Exclude files based on the following rules:

'All" of the following are true

"Folder" "Name" "is" Applications

"Folder" "Name" "contains" Applications

"Folder" "Name" "is" iTunes Music

"Folder" "Name" "contains" iTunes Music

etc, etc, etc.

These rules still copy all the data within these folders and when I choose to preview the "restore" it shows that the contents of the various folders are not copied.

Your comments are always welcome.

Running Retrospect 8.1 (build 626)

Computer: Mac Mini 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

4GB 1067 MHz DDR3

System 10.6.2

I guess I can't include a screen shot with this post but the long and short of it reads.

Exclude files based on the following rules:

'All" of the following are true

"Folder" "Name" "is" Applications

"Folder" "Name" "contains" Applications

"Folder" "Name" "is" iTunes Music

"Folder" "Name" "contains" iTunes Music

Peter,

This is why a screen shot would be so very helpful. "Long and Short of it" may not match what your post transcribes.

However, if your exclude rule is truly as you have given it here, the program seems to be doing what you are asking because there is no way that the Folder name "is Applications" and Folder name "is iTunes Music" can be met, and you have required that "All conditions" must be met. Both conditions are non-overlapping. If the folder name is Applications then the folder name cannot be iTunes Music. The Exclude condition will never be satisfied, so nothing will be excluded.

We need a screen shot.

Russ

Right -- your rule should say "Any" of the following is true -- not "All".

And, again, if it *does* say "any" -- did you try a backup with the rules? "Preview" within the Backup Wizard seems to be broken in this build.

And I use:

Folder Name is iTunes Music

in my scripted backups as an exclude rule and it *does* skip that folder.

But not if I run a Backup Wizard and "Preview" using that rule...

Gentlemen, To Russ's point, yes a screenshot is in order. I've notified the proper authorities for inclusion for that honor.

On another note. I neglected to add the fact that at the very heading of the "Exclusions" rules the first selection includes the word "Any". I basically reworked the "All Files Except Cache Files" rule.

So do you still think that's the issue?

And, rather than rework the "cache files" rule, I might suggest you make the rule to include the stock cache file rule and then exclude additional custom rules.

Just on the off-chance that EMC ever updates the stock rule in a software update...

I'm attaching a screen shot of a modified version of one of my rules that works properly when I run a script using it (but does -- again -- not work when running the Backup Wizard and "Previewing" using the script -- which is a bug.)