!Can't save Catalog File, error -625 ( unknown)

sarm

Firstly, the system. It's a stand-alone OS X system, not connected to a network, used purely to backup local firewire drives.

G5 Dual 2.3GHz

4GB Ram

OS X 10.5.8

Atto UL4S

LTO 3

Current Retrospect 8

Current SCSI drivers

I'm getting the following error which seems to be occuring at the end of copying 400+GB from a single firewire drive. It doesn't even get to the comparing stage.

+ Normal backup using Backup Assistant - 13/01/2010 13:26 at 1/13/2010 1:33 PM (Execution unit 1)

To Media Set RW EProms...

- 1/13/2010 1:33:51 PM: Copying RW EProms =S=

lmNeeded: memory pool missing, needed = 208, nsp->start = -1460142080, nsp->end = 818493696, nsp->count = 356384768, nsp->flags =

0x4000000

>

!Can't save Catalog File, error -625 ( unknown)

1/13/2010 11:50:48 PM: Execution incomplete

Completed: 16399 files, 432.8 GB

Performance: 812.8 MB/minute

Duration: 10:16:57 (01:11:47 idle/loading/preparing)

Any help with this would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

My apologies for not making it clearer in my post, but it was a fresh backup, to a newly created media set and 2 erased tapes.

After it failed once, I started again, from scratch, erasing the tapes and creating a *new* media set, ran the backup again and it gave the same error right at the end of the copying process.

All this time, I had OS X activity monitor open and it was using less than half of the 4GB Ram.

One thing I have noticed is the cpu usage is quite high, so maybe this is the culprit.

Thanks

Steve

Last week I rented a Mac pro with a PCI-e SCSI card to try with Retrospect 8 - it copied and verified over 400GB without any errors. Good!

Tried the same with our G5 (4GB RAM) and got the same error again, so I can only conclude that Retrospect 8 doesn't work with PPC, despite what the system requirements say.

I'm successfully backing up the internal drive of a G5 iMac to a variety of Disk and File Media Sets, driving from the console running on an Intel iMac.

Can you run the backup from a local FireWire drive to a [color:purple]Disk Media Set[/color] stored on another drive?

Could be the host bus adapter in the Power Mac...

Could be the host bus adapter in the Power Mac...

Well, perhaps the firmware or SCSI .kext driver for the UL4S needs updating ("current" is meaningless), but it's an ATTO UL4S, which should be fine.

There is no information about the version of Retrospect 8 being used (only "current", which is meaningless). I've stopped responding to posts from people who don't provide version numbers, because it's a waste of time.

Russ

Apologies for the lack of information!

Retrospect 8.1 (626)

Atto UL4S firmware is 2009_04_10, which is the most recent version available on their site

Atto driver - tried both 4.31 and 4.41

The Atto card is new, purchased as a replacement for a UL3D 66.

TIA

Steve

Ok. The main thing I wanted to see was the ATTO .kext version, because there have been some issues with the older versions and Mac OS 10.5.x.

If you used Retrospect 8.1.626 engine both times (on the PPC and on the rented Mac Pro), then I agree with you that this seems like a bug with the PPC version.

russ

Except that the Mac Pro used a different physical card; I'm assuming it's the same physical tape drive being used on both machines.

So is it possible to bring the card over to the rental, to reduce the difference between the hardware test beds?

Not possible. The ATTO UL4S is PCI-X, as required for the G5 PPC. The Mac Pro has a PCI-e bus, and needs a PCI-e card like the ATTO UL5D (or ATTO UL5D Low Profile, usually used in an xServe).

Russ

It is indeed the same tape drive. The Mac pro was only a 1 day rental so I can't do any more tests with that.

The Attoexpresspci4.kext is version 4.3.1.

As suggested, I am in the process of running a disk backup to see if I can rule out SCSI devices.

Thanks all

Assuming that you have a good cable and good LVD terminators, etc., I suggest that you work with EMC Retrospect support to figure out what the problem is with running Retrospect on your G5 PPC.

Contact EMC Retrospect support

This is a problem that's not going to be able to be resolved in these user-to-user forums. Looks to me like you are doing everything right.

Russ