Disaster recovery question

baweeks

Using Retro Express for Windows 7.6 on a Vista SP2 box. Using Express's wizard to create a bootable disaster-boot CD, the wizard says it cannot be done. Any idea why? Any workarounds? My install disk that came with the machine is a MS-issued, MS-labeled Vista SP1 install disk. I've got that, a disk with the SP2 updater on it, and a disk with all the drivers for my particular machine, and a disk with the Retro 7.6 Express Windows installer on it. With half a day, I can install SP1, upgrade to SP2, install Express 7.6, then recreate the catalog, then recover from the last snapshot, but it sure would be quicker if a bootable disaster-recover CD with Retro Express on it could be made, then could I not recover to the bare-metal C: drive from the backup set stored on an external USB HDD, when booted from this disaster disk?

Thanks in advance to any replies.

-baweeks

Perhaps the answer about struggling to make a disaster CD so I can have Express 7.6 Windows do a bare metal recovery to C: might be this: Spend $29.00 to upgrade to Professional 7.7. Then, I'm covered for when I upgrade to Windows 7. (Is Express 7.6 Win end-of-lifed at Vista??) Professional 7.7 advertises creation of disaster CD's for bare metal recovery back to C:. And, possibly if not likely, it might back up my Macintosh, as a client, faster and with better compression than Retro 8.1 Mac does backing up its own self!

Does this make sense to you Windows guys?

-baweeks