7.7 does not recognize optical drive

uwalum

Retrospect 7.7 has a problem on my PC where it doesn't recognize my Bluray drive as an optical drive. When I right click on it on the Environment tab of the Storage Devices window, "Configure Optical Drive..." is greyed out.

I've seen a few other posts with this problem but I haven't seen any solutions. I installed an old version of Retrospect (7.6) and I can configure the drive, but only for DVDs. If I then launch version 7.7, the drive works for DVDs, but I can't configure it for BluRays because the option is still greyed out.

Any idea what is causing this?

Here is the information about my system:

Windows 7 64 bit

Retrospect Professional 7.7.203 (64 bit)

Driver update and hot fix version 7.7.102 (64 bit)

Bluray drive: LG WH08LS20

Thanks,

Paul

Any idea what is causing this?

Here is the information about my system:

Windows 7 64 bit

Retrospect Professional 7.7.203 (64 bit)

Driver update and hot fix version 7.7.102 (64 bit)

Bluray drive: LG WH08LS20

Yes. You don't have a supported drive.

Supported Blu-ray drives

Try getting a supported drive, or wait until your drive is supported.

Russ

• 2 months later...

I have an almost identical configuration with the same drive. In the past I could use unsupported drives and manually 'configure' them. In fact I was able to 'configure' this particular drive with Retrospect Professional v7.6 using every media type it can write except blu-ray.

Is there any reason why it cannot be configured with v7.7? Is there any place where we can submit requests for particular hardware to be supported?

Looking at the list of supported blue-ray drives there are only three, and only two are SATA. This list has not changed in quite some time and all of the listed drives are discontinued models. Can we put down a vote for some blu-ray support somewhere?

I was hoping that the 7.7.325 update would fix this problem with the SATA LG blu-ray drive, but it didn't.

It did fix the same problem with a SATA DVD Plextor PX-880SA. It's unsupported, but I was able to do a custom configuration. That's a step in the right direction.

I agree that there should be some currently available SATA blu-ray drives supported. In fact, even the two SATA DVD drives listed as compatible are obsolete and not available anymore.

Paul