new Mini

RW AD-5670S

I'm trying to recover 6.0/PPC backups onto a new mini w/6.1

Murphy is biting me on all sides:

a) The new AD-5670S DVD is unsupported; manual configuration fails:

∆ Retrospect version 6.1.230

launched at 1/7/2010 4:23 PM

+ Retrospect Driver Update, version 6.1.15.101

Running Custom Configuration tests on OPTIARC DVD RW AD-5670S at 1/7/2010 4:24 PM

1/7/2010 4:24:05 PM: Setup test: Successful

1/7/2010 4:24:05 PM: Default setup test: Successful

1/7/2010 4:24:05 PM: Drive type test: Successful

1/7/2010 4:24:05 PM: Drive initialization test: Successful

1/7/2010 4:24:15 PM: Disc information test: Failed

- 1/7/2010 4:24:16 PM: Custom Configuration tests: Failed

I gather you can't used an unconfigured drive for reading; I seemed to remember same from past beta tests...

B) An available USB CD is FUBAR; it sees nothing.

(I'll try cleaning the lens later..)

c) I can't use the old PPC machine's drive in Target Mode because this Mini is FW800; and we don't have FW800->FW400 adapter handy. [Grrr]

d) I saw an old message that Retrospect 8 may or may not read the 6 backups…

Any suggestions as what approach to take? I'm going to look for other USB CD drives in hopes one of mine is acceptable..

What version of Mac OS X is on the Mac Mini? If, as you say, it's a "new mini", that's your problem. Murphy is biting you on another side.

Retrospect 6.x is unsupported on Mac OS 10.6.x ("Snow Leopard"). Doesn't work. See the Snow Leopard Compatibility Statement:

Unsupported Configurations

The following Retrospect configurations are unsupported with Snow Leopard, and they will remain unsupported in the future.

• EMC Retrospect 6.1 and earlier for Mac
  • EMC Retrospect 7.5 and earlier for Windows

You are pretty much hosed unless you get an older Macintosh to run Retrospect 6.x.

Retrospect 8.x runs on Mac OS 10.6 (Snow Leopard) (see the Snow Leopard Compatibility Statement), but is not able to read backups made by older versions of Retrospect.

What a concept that someone might need to restore backups made by an older version of a backup program. EMC doesn't seem to appreciate this vital need. Why would anyone ever need to retrieve old data using a backup program?

Russ

Thanks for your reply...

>Murphy is biting you on another side

Damn James Cameron anyhow; now even Murphy has gone 3D...

Yes, the mini runs 6.1; Retrospect 6.1 does seem to run but...

Given that RS8 won't read 6's backups [i get the feeling that 8 is Retrospect in name more than function..]; upgrading is of little use. Further, the DVD is unsupported even in 8.x

So my best plan to date is: Boot old PPC via external drive. Install 6.1 to it. Restore to external drive, and then move to Mini, via a 400-800, or CD or filesharing.

At that point we have to abandon RS (because there's no DVD drive support in 8 either), and switch to CrashPlan or another approach.

Edited by Guest
at least spell his name correctly....

Yes, the mini runs 6.1; Retrospect 6.1 does seem to run but...

Well, you still haven't provided the version of Mac OS X. Again, if it's Snow Leopard, Retrospect 6.1 may "seem to run" but that doesn't mean that it's working. Re-read my post above, re-read the Snow Leopard compatibility statement, and search these forums. It's dead, Jim. Doesn't work.

Given that RS8 won't read 6's backups {I get the feeling that 8 is Retrospect in name more than function..};

We are of one mind there, and Murphy continues to bite you on still another front because HTML doesn't like your brackets...

Further, the DVD is unsupported even in 8.x

Well, I'm not so sure about that. Did you read this KB article?

Retrospect 8.x for Macintosh Optical Support

And did you wave the rubber chicken while chanting "Boole and Babbage"?

So my best plan to date is: Boot old PPC via external drive. Install 6.1 to it. Restore to external drive, and then move to Mini, via a 400-800, or CD or filesharing.

Or, more simply, just share a folder (or the entire drive) on the new mini, restore to that while running Retrospect 6.1 on the PPC.

At that point we have to abandon RS (because there's no DVD drive support in 8 either), and switch to CrashPlan or another approach.

That's not a valid reason for abandoning Retrospect 8. See the KB article, because DVD can be made to work (for some definition of "work"). Sometimes... Retrospect 8 is still in its infancy. Give it a few more years - it's only been out for a year now. Perhaps there will even be a manual someday.

Russ

Well, you still haven't provided the version of Mac OS X.

Sorry; that's 10.6 not 6.1; the 6.1 is RS's version.

It's dead, Jim. Doesn't work.

I'm getting the picture..

Or, more simply, just share a folder (or the entire drive) on the new mini, restore to that while running Retrospect 6.1 on the PPC.

Need a FW 800-400 adapter to do that...

Thanks, but it is NOT listed in the Big Book of supported drives.

And did you wave the rubber chicken while chanting "Boole and Babbage"?

Huh? The SATA drive identifies in Retrospect as SCSI {not unusual in *nix OS device drivers}, and we know the key to SCSI is goats; a chicken is the wrong impedance.

That's not a valid reason for abandoning Retrospect 8. See the KB article, because DVD can be made to work (for some definition of "work"). Sometimes... Retrospect 8 is still in its infancy. Give it a few more years - it's only been out for a year now. Perhaps there will even be a manual someday.

Thanks for the reassurance. Meanwhile, while CrashPlan handles disk/offsite backups; I need a solution that will burn CD's/DVD's as well.

Edited by Guest

Or' date=' more simply, just share a folder (or the entire drive) on the new mini, restore to that while running Retrospect 6.1 on the PPC.[/quote']

Need a FW 800-400 adapter to do that...

If you mean a cable with the right connectors, yes. I do it all the time.

But I was simply suggesting restoring to a shared folder on the mini's internal drive. If you are proposing restoring to the FireWire drive while attached to the PPC, then moving that drive to the mini, well, you have to solve the problem of attaching the FW drive to the mini to do that. I made my suggestion so that you wouldn't have to mount the FW drive on the mini.

Thanks, but it is NOT listed in the Big Book of supported drives.

That doesn't mean squat. EMC's Retrospect group doesn't have a tech writer.

Where the @#%& is my Retrospect 8 User's Guide?

There's no documentation being done. Using Retrospect 8 is like being in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike. xyzzy, indeed.

The supported drive list doesn't mean squat for Retrospect 8, for which there isn't any documentation at all except for the Getting Started guide and some video tutorials. Look carefully at the supported devices list - the Mac chart only discusses Retrospect 6.1.

Thanks for the goat article, but I think that LVD takes a chicken. Goats are SCSI-1 and HVD. Those old quotes are for older technology.

Damn James Cameron anyhow; now even Murphy has gone 3D...

Interesting. I went the recent midnight opening of that epic, and, halfway through the show, one of the theater's projector bulbs burned out (the one for the left eye). I thought I was having a stroke because I could only see out of one eye. Wait until you are about to turn 60, and you will understand the intense panic.

Russ

But I was simply suggesting restoring to a shared folder on the mini's internal drive. If you are proposing restoring to the FireWire drive while attached to the PPC, then moving that drive to the mini, well, you have to solve the problem of attaching the FW drive to the mini to do that. I made my suggestion so that you wouldn't have to mount the FW drive on the mini.

The external drive has FW 400 and USB outputs.

(As it stands, I can not just put the Mini into Target Mode, and connect it to the PPC FW port as that would need a 800-400 cable.)

So I can use it to boot the dead PPC, run 6.1 on that, with its known-supported internal CD drive, writing the restoral to the external.

THEN bring down the PPC box, and use the drive's USB port to copy all to the Mini. A PITA to be sure, but...

Thanks for the goat article, but I think that LVD takes a chicken.

Piffle.... True, you need one goat for SE, and a pair - one white, one black - for differential; but the only difference for HVD is you need older, bigger goats.

Chickens are for ArcNet.....Rabbits go with Token Ring. {That way, you always have enough spare tokens...}

But I was simply suggesting restoring to a shared folder on the mini's internal drive. If you are proposing restoring to the FireWire drive while attached to the PPC' date=' then moving that drive to the mini, well, you have to solve the problem of attaching the FW drive to the mini to do that. I made my suggestion so that you wouldn't have to mount the FW drive on the mini.[/quote']

The external drive has FW 400 and USB outputs.

(As it stands, I can not just put the Mini into Target Mode, and connect it to the PPC FW port as that would need a 800-400 cable.)

No need to put the Mini into TDM. Just share a folder on its drive, mount that folder on the PPC, restore to the shared volume mounted on the PPC.

Russ

No need to put the Mini into TDM. Just share a folder on its drive, mount that folder on the PPC, restore to the shared volume mounted on the PPC.

How do you propose to share? Over UTP? or 802.11?

In my experience, such are far slower than other approaches. FW is fastest, than USB2.0 - both exceed file sharing. If stuck with UTP, I'll use rsync usually.

(1) Firewire - Mac OS X 10.4 and up supports IP over Firewire. Just turn it on for the interface. Very fast.

See thread re: FW incompatibility.

(2) ethernet - just cable the two up. Surely you have a network.

Yes, but I find it to be far slower than FW. And as it happens, that desk lacks a 2nd network jack so I'll need to move stuph around; not a biggie but more paper cuts from Murphy.

Update...

Installed 6.1 on outboard boot disk, used the PPC iBook and recovered the whole archive.

I did have a few rough spots. First pass through all the CD's to recover the catalog took a long time; almost as long as the 2nd full restoral run. It gagged on one CD, but I washed it carefully and it made it through the 2nd pass error-free.

I wish there was a setting to make it eject each CD when it was done with it; I had to select and eject each. That was not true during the 2nd pass.

During the 2nd pass 6.1 locked up hard on an earlier CD. Finally I force-quit it, but the karma was in an uproar, so I rebooted.

The 2nd attempt went smoothly. Got all the files back.....

Edited by Guest