Multiple .rdb files

drh7675

I am using Retrospect 7.6 on a Windows 2003 R2 Server. After backup to an external Maxtor drive I find there are multiple .rdb files displayed in Windows Explorer associated with the one backup. These files are AA000000.rdb which is 614,408KB, AA000001.rdb 614,408KB, AA000002.rdb 614,408KB, AA000003 181,304KB, and finally AA000004 3,208KB. I have no idea why there are five files associated with this one backup and this seems to be utilizing excess disk space. Does anyone know if this is correct file structure ?

I have no idea why there are five files associated with this one backup and this seems to be utilizing excess disk space.

No, it utilizes the space necessary to back up your data.

Does Retrospect, by default, break all backups into 614k + remainder files.

Yes, for the type of backup set you have.

I just didn't understand why I had 5 files for one backup.

Because that's the way the program was designed. A common data format is used for Retrospect Express and the other versions of Retrospect. The design reasons are complex, but we users just have to accept that this is the way it is. It's not taking up extra space on your disk by doing it this way, and it minimizes the loss in data if any of the smaller files become damaged. It also helps grooming do what needs to be done.

Russ