caseyverhagen

Selectors Question

This should be a fairly simple question about selectors. I am trying to exclude a path from being backed up on users machines. Here is what it would look like for a specific user:

Always exclude files matching

folder name matches exactly C:\Users\JohnD.domain\Downloads

Instead of setting this up specifically for each user, can I use a variable such as:

Always exclude files matching

folder name matches exactly C:\Users\%USERNAME%.domain\Downloads

Any information that anyone could give on this would be great. Thanks!

If there are only a handful of clients, go to each one and set up "Private folder" in each Retrospect Client.

If there are hundreds I don't know what to do.

I just read that the wildcard * doesn't always work as you might want to.

Try using question marks instead of the asterisk. But then you need multipl selectors, one for each number of question marks (each question mark matches one letter in the user name in this case).

I just read that the wildcard * doesn't always work as you might want to.

Here's a thought to try:

Perhaps the "*" bug occurs if it is the leading character in the match string (which is a special and difficult case). Try "?*domain" or "?*.domain" in the match string.

Russ

I want to thank everyone for their help and comments. I was unable to get any of the suggestions to work, but I did speak to Retrospect. They said variables can not be used and I will have to create a selector for each user. Now to look forward to alot of work. :/

You might try a selector with a wildcard that's based on the "Windows Path", rather than the Folder Name. It would seem like both should work, but I've had better results with the Windows-specific selector.

-- Pete

I've had those (wildcard in "Windows Path") fail in the past as well, but you can give Pete's suggestion a try. Maybe it works this time.