Uninstall Mac client?

I had to reinstall my server and discovered that a few Mac OSX clients were using a password that we do not know. Now we cannot add these clients to the server.

I would suspect that uninstalling the client from the machine would remove the files and allow me to reinstall and set a new password, however, when I run the installer again, we are not given a chance to enter a new password.

I can't find an uninstaller. I tried deleting the app from the Applications folder but that does not do it.

So, two questions:

Does anyone know how to reset the mac client password on the client?

What is the correct way to uninstall the retrospect client from the mac?

Thanks,

Jeff

Edited by Guest

Hmm...that is not anything like the installer I have. Which installer are you running?

My client is running Mac OS X 10.6, and I downloaded the latest client(version 6.3.028) from: http://download.dantz.com/archives/Client_OSX-6_3_028.dmg

I have confirmed via other forum posts that the installer does not offer an uninstaller.

I have just figured out how to uninstall it though...thanks to many similar complaints over in the Retrospect 8 for Mac forums.

Open the retrospect client and turn it off. Then close it and delete the \Libraries\Preferences\retroclient.state file. Now you have two options. To completely uninstall, just trash the app from the Application folder. Or if you just needed to reset the password, you can rerun the installer and it will prompt you for a password.

That should do it. Anyone want to try it and confirm?

If I search the KB why doesn't this solution come up? It is ridiculous.

J

There may also be an entry in /Library/Startup Items or a launchd plist entry, depending on your version of the client. Of course, if the application is gone, then the attempted launch at boot time will fail, but it might leave a slight security hole if someone were to install a program with the same name as the expected client app.

Documentation, such as Release Notes or a Read Me, would be nice and should cover things like this, but documentation seems to be a no priority item at EMC these days, at least for the Mac product line. There is not even a tech writer on the EMC Retrospect staff.

Russ

The new installer is based off the Apple installer. It did not include an uninstall, but I have attached an unsupported AppleScript that should be able to uninstall that client version.

An official uninstaller will be available in the future.

Edited by Guest

• 1 month later...

Robin,

I am a Mac user, Snow Leopard,Retrospect 8.1 all the latest software. trying to backup one external client running Leopard (with no snow). I was having problems with having installed the new client over an old 6.1 client.

Your uninstaller, combined with a 6.1 uninstaller worked great.

I still have problems with client visibility being lost when the client sleeps and wakes between backups.

I manually rectify this by doing the following:

1 Remove the client from the retrospect control panel, 2 Stop the Retrospect engine, 3 Start the Retrospect Engine, 4 Add the client by Broadcast. 5 Repair the source in the script.

I was wondering whether you have an un-supported script which would perform those tasks? I could place the script in iCal and run it pre backup.

Thanks,

I was wondering whether you have an un-supported script which would perform those tasks? I could place the script in iCal and run it pre backup.

Retrospect 8 is not (yet?) scriptable. Wait another year or two, that feature might return, perhaps after a manual appears. The product has only been out for a bit over a year, and has a lot of growing to do to get back to where Retrospect 6 was years ago.

Russ