Exclude file name selectors not working

Sburk

I have a backup script that basically backs up entire drives on several different computers.

I noticed that it was attempting to backup mssql file extensions .mdf and .ldf which is causing roughly 130 errors upon backup completion.

I added two exclude by name selectors:

*.mdf

*.ldf

In the operations log it is still showing that the script is attempting to backup files with the above extensions. So, I'm still getting 130 errors upon completion. I have included a couple screenshots of the selector setup....the *.mdf and *.ldf selectors are setup exactly the same.

Any ideas ladies and gentlemen?

Thanks!

Edited by Guest

The errors are all

...\mssql\data\filename.mdf: can't read, error -1020 (sharing violation)

...\mssql\data\filename.ldf: can't read, error -1020 (sharing violation)

Which I think is by design since the sql server is running.

I will give your suggestion on the selectors a shot. I'll know if it worked by tomorrow morning and will report back.

Thanks!

A couple suggestions:

1) I have had better luck with "Windows file name ends with .ldf", rather than "file name ends with .ldf".

2) Also, you could try "Windows file or folder starts with "c:\mssql\data\" (or whatever).

It's faster to check if your selector is working with the Check Selector feature, rather than running a backup.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried your suggestions and still no joy.

Excuse my ignorance, but when I run the "check selector" tool, it appears to just pull up an entire list of the entire source drive. I drill down to find a .mdf or a .ldf and both are still selected. Is this expected??

Excuse my ignorance, but when I run the "check selector" tool, it appears to just pull up an entire list of the entire source drive. I drill down to find a .mdf or a .ldf and both are still selected. Is this expected??

Yes and No. You should expect a list of all files and folders. Some files/folders should be selected, but not others. The fact that .mdf and .ldf are still selected means your selector doesn't work.