2gb size limit on backup data file?

Is 2gb the largest data backup file Retrospect 4.0i will generate when running a backup script to a file storage set destination? If so, how can I circumvent this to back up more files/folders than that (probably 5gb total sum) in my nightly backup session? I'm backing up certain parts of a Mac network. I'm backing up to a data file that resides on an Imac hardrive that is connected to the network via ethernet. My APS DAT tape drive was being used until it died. Backing up to the data file seemed like my only punt at this time.

• 2 weeks later...

Until Mac OS 9 there was a Macintosh file system limit of 2 GB for any single file. This applied to file backup sets which reside as one file on the backup hard drive. Older versions of Retrospect are limited to 2 GB totoal for a file backup set.

Retrospect version 4.3 has lifted this limitation. To back up to a file backup set of more than 2 GB, you must be running Mac OS 9 or later, Retrospect 4.3 or later, and the volume to which you are saving the file must be a local volume (not accessed across the network) formatted as HFS Extended (Mac OS Extended).

If you are missing one of these components, the workaround is to back up to *multiple* file backup sets on the same hard drive. You will have to determine which volumes or amounts of data can fit into the various file backup sets you create.

For example, if you were backing up 3 volumes to a file backup set, you can now back up volume 1 to file Backup Set A, volume 2 to file Backup Set B, and volume 3 to file Backup Set C.

If it's not so clear cut, you will have to determine groups of folder subvolumes or use our selectors not to back up certain files and apportion amounts of data to each file backup set.

Archived