HeapValidate error on client backup

rcohen

Okay, that should be enough...

What kind of backup target for the storage set do you use? Is it possible to use another storage system to test?

Btw, we backup a lot of files (in the millions) for some of our clients as well and don't see this problem (using 7.6.123). So I'm interested because we may want to upgrade to 7.7.

What kind of backup target for the storage set do you use? Is it possible to use another storage system to test?

I'm doing backups to disk, using a Thecus NAS. I have already tried backing up to other systems (actual Windows and Linux servers), with no change in behavior.

Hi all, below is the thread I have been posting on. The is the same memory error everyone who has large backup jobs is seeing. It almost seems worse after the update from 7.7.203 to 7.7.208. I have been sending my assert and operations logs to EMC support but still no fix for this particular issue. I am completely unable to rebuild a large catalog file and twice have had to blow away my backup sets and start over.

http://forums.dantz.com/showtopic.php?tid/32765

-Matt

• 4 weeks later...

I'm seeing these errors in all my tape backups. I'm running 7.7.208 on 64 bit Windows 2003. I never saw this in 7.6. I am almost certain I had tons of these errors when I first started with 7.7 the second time (after I'd bailed back to 7.6 waiting for the mem leak fix). But then I changed this setting in the retro.ini file in the Retrospect program directory:

MaxMemPercent=70

from the default which I believe is MaxMemPercent=30.

I was told by Tech Support many months ago that this config controlled how much system RAM RS was allowed to take up. I'm pretty sure this reduced these Heap Validate Failed errors.

Be careful with this setting. Going too high will cause the program to crash with memory assert error.

• 3 weeks later...