Version 7.7 locked range conflict on pst file

nadelprice

My apologies -- I thought we were talking about the Retrospect Client, not the server.

The server has a preference for which user ID it will run under. It defaults to running as the "currently logged in user." This means your login ID when you run Retrospect interactively, and the login ID of the Retrospect Launcher service when Retrospect is launched automatically. The Launcher Service defaults to running in the Local System account, so background/automatic executions of Retrospect normally run in Local System.

It's possible to select other values in the Retrospect preferences, such as an explicit login ID (with password). That may work well on XP, however on Vista and Windows 7 it causes several kinds of grief. On those OSes you may have better results with it set to "currently logged in user" and instead change the ID that is used by the Retrospect Launcher service.

I hope this helps. It seems likely, however, that there is a more general problem with Open File Backup in Retrospect 7.7, as another user just posted about doing a 7.6->7.7 upgrade and immediately having the locking-range-conflict issue.

-- Pete

Edited by Guest
Fixed typo

Actually we run Retrospect (7.6.123) as its own user (called "Retrospect" and this is part of the Admins group) on a 2008 R2 server. So far this works well for us.

I don't think there is any user ID relation between the client and the server part of Retrospect that should mess things up. Retrospect (server) logs in with the credentials you provide when setting up the client. So if there is a credential problem, the best place to look at is the client itself imho.

Just a thought... Is it possible to disable the Open File license and test again? Just to see if it is related to the problem.

Retrospect (server) logs in with the credentials you provide when setting up the client.

No, I don't believe that this is the way it works. Retrospect server never logs in to the client or the client's volumes. Instead, the client runs with elevated privileges on the client computer so that it can access everything, and chats back and forth with Retrospect server over the Retrospect port 497 channel to do the backup, restores, etc.

The credentials you supply when setting up the client are used to establish the channel between the client and the server (so that spoofing attacks can't happen).

However, all of the other questions / suggestions in this thread are appropriate areas for investigation.

Russ

Retrospect (server) logs in with the credentials you provide when setting up the client.

No' date=' I don't believe that this is the way it works. Retrospect server never logs in to the client or the client's volumes. Instead, the client runs with elevated privileges on the client computer so that it can access everything, and chats back and forth with Retrospect server over the Retrospect port 497 channel to do the backup, restores, etc.

The credentials you supply when setting up the client are used to establish the channel between the client and the server (so that spoofing attacks can't happen).[/quote']

Actually I didn't mean it to sound like Retrospect logs into a Windows user account. I should have said Retrospect logs into the Retro Client using the credentials you provide when setting up the Retro Client.

In other words, what I was trying to suggest is that Windows credentials of the server are of no consequence for the Windows credentials of the client. As long as Retrospect (server) can log into the Retro Client with those specific Retrospect credentials it should work. If it doesn't, you could conclude there might be a problem with the Windows credentials the Retro Client is running under.

Hi,

I started this thread and can confirm that prior to 7.7 my duplicate job ran with open file backup without errors. I note that at 7.7 the duplicate job fails but a true backup (not duplicate) works correctly using open file backup.

When running the backup you can see the message "preparing for open file backup". That message does not appear on the duplicate job. The "preparing for open file backup" message does not show in the logs - only on the screen.

The MS event viewer shows the volume shadow copy service as started during the failed duplicate run. When I manually close outlook the duplicate job works correctly.

I depend on retrospect to duplicate the file and then a later job comes along and copies the duplicated file to off site storage along with some other important files.

Here is my latest info sent to Keith in support of the case:

"Here is a less cluttered log report of the duplicate open file problem from a job just looking for outlook pst files.

Could the fact that it cannot find ini file 'C:\Documents and Settings\be of any significance."

+ Executing Immediate Duplicate at 1/28/2010 10:34 AM

To volume rbc_config on My Book1 (G:)...

- 1/28/2010 10:34:54 AM: Copying Documents and Settings on HP_PAVILION (C:)

File "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\Before_2008 Folders.pst": can't read, error -1111 ( locked range conflict)

File "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\Personal Folders.pst": can't read, error -1111 ( locked range conflict)

vtopGetRegistry: saving registry

RegEnumFromIniFile: couldn't perform dupeback operation, ini file 'C:\Documents and Settings\RtrDpeBk.ini' not found.

regfBackupTask: regfEnum failed, -3,117

vtopBuildStateFiles: dupe back failed error -3117 ( unknown).

vtopGetSecurity: saving security

vtopRestoreState: restore db settings, 1

VssWPrepareForRestore: couldn't restore meta state, meta state folder not found

vtopRestoreState: couldn't read status file for duplicate.

vtopRestoreWin2Db: restoring windows 2000 db, id = 32

vtopRestoreRegistry: restoring registry

vtopRestoreState: Registry restored.

vtopRestoreState: DK_DRMODE is false.

vtopRestoreWin2Db: restoring windows 2000 db, id = 4

vtopRestoreWin2Db: restoring windows 2000 db, id = 64

vtopRestoreWin2Db: restoring windows 2000 db, id = 1

vtopRestoreWin2Db: restoring windows 2000 db, id = 2

vtopRestoreWin2Db: restoring windows 2000 db, id = 128

vtopRestoreSecurity: restoring security

1/28/2010 10:34:59 AM: Comparing rbc_config on My Book1 (G:)

1/28/2010 10:34:59 AM: 2 execution errors

Duration: 00:00:04 (00:00:03 idle/loading/preparing)

The MS event viewer log shows

Event Type: Information

Event Source: Service Control Manager

Event Category: None

Event ID: 7035

Date: 1/28/2010

Time: 10:32:02 AM

User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM

Computer: PNHOME1

Description:

The Volume Shadow Copy service was successfully sent a start control.

Event Type: Information

Event Source: Service Control Manager

Event Category: None

Event ID: 7036

Date: 1/28/2010

Time: 10:32:02 AM

User: N/A

Computer: PNHOME1

Description:

The Volume Shadow Copy service entered the running state.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Robin - I installed 7.7.325 today and it produced the same errors as before - sharing violations, etc. After about 20 error I stopped the process and reverted to 7.6.123 which continues to work fine with no errors.

I have attached a log of the 7.7 backup to show you the errors that I am getting.

7.6.123 is installed on a Win 7 32 bit machine. The two clients are a Win XP Pro SP3 laptop and a Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit laptop (Toshiba M700 with 6 GB memory, 160 GB Intel SSD with 80 GB free).

Robin - the Windows event log created on 4/20/2010 at 2:21:48 PM with Source Retrospect and event ID as 1 says the same - "Can't use open file backup option for Bill on M700 64, error-3045.....".

Do I assume correctly that Retrospect created this event log error? Where is there insufficient storage space? The drive where the backup is stored has over 400 GB free space.

And why does 7.6.123 have no problem with Open file backup?

Edited by Guest