mailbox backup: Retrospect 7.7 "disappears"

Using Retrospect 7.7.0.203 (64-bit) + latest driver update 7.7.102.

Running on Windows SBS 2008 R1 64-bit & Exchange 2007 SP1.

Problem when backing up selected Exchange Mailboxes, manual or with script.

All mailboxes volumes are visible.

Preview shows up correctly.

Issue: Retrospect starts doing backup correctly, but "disappears" from the screen after 2 minutes.

No error message, no information in the Operations Log.

In Activity Monitor, History, I see just one line for the script but no detail information (nothing happens when I doubleclick the line).

When backing up a SINGLE mailbox, sometimes I get an assertion failure tmonitor_win.cpp-44.

Any help would be appreciated...

This probably isn't any comfort, but I was scanning the forum for someone else seeing this. This is happening to me also! It would be hilarious if it wasn't so serious. In my case, the program absolutely disappears while running a scripted backup of the mailboxes. When I re-open Retrospect, it acts like the program was never run this morning in the first place. Preference changes are not present. Error messages from failed backups the night before are re-shown to me.

It acts like it has amnesia. Never seen this before. I'm going to call tech and sort this out.

I called tech support to ask if the driver update applied to me. It seems that the version of 7.7 I downloaded already included the latest update you have reference. I downloaded the setup program on Wednesday afternoon.

I am currently saving the backup to a hard disk local to the Retrospect and Exchange installation. If this is successful, it implies I should install Retrospect local to the machine hosting the backup media. If it is unsuccessful, I will likely continue forward with 7.7, but refrain from using the brick-level back up, something we've been doing for some time. We currently only backup the storage groups in their entirety.

Mr White describes exactly the same issue as I have. This is a serious question indeed.

As I explained, I am using the latest driver update. Backing destination is a local harddisk.

File backups are performed correctly, as well as Exchange Store backup.

The issue occurs when backing up individual mailboxes, all or selected, manual or with script.

The Retrospect window simply "vanishes" without a trace in the logs or backup history...

Maybe there is a command-line switch to run Retrospect in debug mode with more error logging?

I also tried this on another customers office (brand new server with SBS 2008 R1 64 bit + Exchange 2007) and same Retrospect version.

Unfortunately, SAME PROBLEM!

We have successfully sold version 7.6 to multiple customers running SBS 2003 and Exchange 2003.

However, brick-level mailbox backup is a requirement that our customers ask for (and it was one good reason why we started selling the product a few years ago).

So we can't sell Retrospect to our SBS 2008 customers until this issue is resolved...

• 2 weeks later...

we have 2 servers running windows 2008 6.0.6002 (One of which is a fresh install only 2 weeks old.

Both running the latest retrospect 7.7.203 64 bit

Driver update and hotfix 7.7.1.102 64bit

Both running exchange 2007 r2 rollup1 version 08.02.0217.002

Exibits the same behavior retrospect has crashed and dissapears while backing up mailboxes. No errors on screen simply dissapears.

While investigating (unsure if related)

errors have been seen:

Retrospect has encounterd a serious error: Assertion failure at "tmonitor_win.cpp-44"

I can confirm this behavior.

SBS2008 Retrospect 7.7, latest 7.7 patch installed on the server. If I backup directly the local mailboxes, I get a hard crash - no assertion, nothing in the log. Retrospect just disappears. If I install the client on the machine and backup the mailboxes through the client, I get the -557 (trancaction already complete) error.

Rolling back to 7.6 and backing up the mailboxes locally, I get the first mailbox backup and then the good ol' "no files need to be backed up" error. If I install the client on the local machine and backup the mailboxes through the client, all is well.

I haven't even gotten to VM backups yet in 7.7 - having to deal with this regression bug. WTF, EMC!! This is pretty straightforward stuff. Backing up Ex 2007 should be ROCK-SOLID by now.

:-(((((

Apparantly issue already known to tech support and escalated down at EMC. I have also reported.

No workaround other than revert back to 7.6 for the time being.

Other known issues are memory leak, and unresponsive dissapearing from desktop but still running in background. I suspect a hotfix forthcoming...

I am having the same problem. I was already appalled to have to pay to upgrade to retrospect 7.7 just so I could fix the bugs in 7.6 with Exchange Mailboxes. But then, I pay anyway just to have those bugs replaced with a much bigger bug. Now I can't back up my mailboxes at all. Seriously?! Do you even test your software before you deploy it?!

1. Try to do an immediate backup of just one mailbox locally, does retrospect disappear each time? If retrospect disappears, which stage just before exiting, scanning or data copying?

2. How about backing up mailbox through 32bit retro remotely (that is retrospect server is installed on 32bit windows and retro client is installed on Exchange machine)?

• 2 weeks later...

I can confirm this happens also.

I have 2 SBS 2008 boxes installed and have tried the different versions of Retrospect 7.7.

When ever I try to do the mailbox backup retrospect quits and shows nothing in the logs.

I've tried being logged into the server with RBU account, tried setting the launcher to RBU account, tried setting security in retrospect to RBU account. Nothing seems to work.

One thing I have noticed is that when you set security in retrospect to RBU account if you are logged onto the server as a different account and retrospect is open the RBU account does not run the backups if you watch the processes in Task Manager. What ever account is logged into the server runs the backup regardless of the use currently logged in use option. Also if retrospect is closed and started by the laucher it runs as local system instead of RBU and you can not open retrospect in any session it locks the program completely and you can only see the activity monitor.

Edited by Guest

After further testing if you choose each mailbox individually they will backup successfully. I tried 1 on its own and it backed up fine, then selected more than one mailbox together also no problem as long as you don't select the first mailbox in the store.

If I select every mailbox in the store it fails however. It runs through the first one then retrospect quits out. If I choose every mailbox in the store except the first one the rest run through ok.

You can not backup the first mailbox in the store no matter what. As soon as this is selected the retrospect crashes out towards the end of backing up this mailbox without logging anything.

Also when you choose to backup all mailboxs by using the selector Exchange Mailbox's retrospect fails and quits unexpectedly. It seems to resolve all the mailbox's correctly, the backup of the first mailbox seems to run through then it quits without logging anything.

I have tried contacting EMC but I have had no response back.

I tried to make a dummy account aaaaaa that appears first in the list but it still seems to bomb out at the original 'first' account in the list.

Testing continues.....

Edited by Guest

My mistake, you can backup individual mailbox's , sometimes a couple, but when you do more than a few it seems to quit out unexpectedly. That must of been a fluke backing up all but 1. There is one mailbox in the store that you can never backup though no matter if its by itself or not.

Edited by Guest

• 1 month later...

i'm having this same problem as well. it's on Server 2008 x64 with Exchange 2007, using Retrospect 7.7. unfortunately going to a 32-bit machine (or 7.6) isn't an option for me as i am doing backups to tape and i don't have the option to move the tape drive to another machine.

i can do storage group backups but not mailboxes. as yatcher said, if you try to do a lot of mailboxes in one script, the UI will disappear, but in my case it will still be running in the background until i force quit the process(es). in any case the backups don't complete and the logs don't register that anything happened. sometimes i get an assertion failure that's the same as the one the OP listed.

this is lame.

Edited by Guest

I have just installed the latest version:

And I can finally backup mailbox's

There is still the problem of -1101 errors with folders and files not found.

Also the UAC problems so the scheduled starts don't seem to kick off if retrospect isn't left open.

But I can actually run backups again!