Sign in to follow this  
inchley

Will Retrospect 8 cure 'not enough memory' messages?

Running Retrospect 6.1, I get regular 'not enough memory' messages (error -108). Sometimes Retrospect then continues OK to the next machine, sometimes the backup terminates.

Before upgrading to Retrospect 8, I need to know the cause, and would be grateful for comments.

Martin

Setup:

Retrospect 6.1.230 Server version - this is the only application running apart from the system software.

Mac mini, 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo, 2 Gb RAM, Mac OS X 10.5.8

Tandberg VXA-320 Firewire StorageLoader

Backing up about 12 networked computers (Mac OS X 10.4 or 10.5), including 2 servers running OS X Server

Message in Console at the time when the problem occurs:

15/12/2009 23:13:55 Retrospect[14990] Retrospect(14990,0xa09b6820) malloc: *** mmap(size=147025920) failed (error code=12)

*** error: can't allocate region

*** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

Retrospect 6 runs in Rosetta, which is RAM hungry. You have just 2GB RAM, which may be the problem.

What does Apple's Activity Monitor say about Memory when Retrospect is having trouble?

I think it would be almost impossible to get anything from Activity Monitor. We would only know there was an issue after the event, when Retrospect reports that the backup failed. Activity Monitor shows real time scenarios.

I understand what you mean about Rosetta, but I would have thought that 2 Gb was enough for Retrospect 6.1 since this is the only application running.