5.6 to 6.0 Upgrade process

bullmoon

I just purchased a 6.0 upgrade and the upgrade process left me with no scripts, no volumes, no previous settings - contrary to what the docs state, it did not preserve my previous settings at all.

I called support about this and they wanted to charge me for sorting it out which is rediculous as that will almost double the cost of the upgrade for me.

Before I fill out the refund request form I have been sent, and fall back to 5.6, I want to see if these forums are a viable support offering to get thru issues like this.

I can restore back to 5.6 and everything works fine. So, how do I upgrade it properly?

Thank you.

WinXP Pro

Intel P42.26

Intel D845GBVL

1GB CAS 2 RAM

Ecrix VXA-1 Tape

ATTO SCSI Adapter

I ran into this when I found that the default upgrade process from RDB5.6-->RP6.0 *only* preserves everything if you've installed both versions at the default locations (e.g. C:\Program Files\Dantz\Retrospect). If you installed the previous version elsewhere and use the default install process, the RP6 install doesn't see it and installs at the new default location, resulting in a "loss" of all settings.

Two workarounds:

1) Do a Custom install (this is poorly done in many programs. The location shouldn't be considered custom, and the path should be visible during the initial install screen). You may need to uninstall RP6.0 and then reinstall it at the "custom" location.

2) When the new RP6.0 was installed, it didn't touch my non-standard/custom RDB5.6 directory. Since PR6.0 is really "5.5-->5.6 + a prettier GUI" it even uses the default config55.dat and config55.bak files. I think you'll find that if you copy these files from the RDB5.6 directory to the RP6.0 directory and launch it, all of your settings will now show up.

Retrospect 6.0 stores configuration information in the following directory:

../Documents and Settings/All Users/Application Data/Retrospect

Copy the following files from the 5.6 installation

Config55.bak

Config55.dat

from the ../Program Files/Dantz/Retrospect Directory to the new location. Launch 6.0, enter 6.0 code if applicable, and you should find your old scripts, settings, etc.

thank you - between you and GoAWest, I got it. The first time I tried to upgrade, it did upgrade an old installation that was in a wrong named directory - why/how it found that path and used it is beyond me - something the rigistry perhaps. So I un-installed and removed that.

However, once it did the bad upgrade, even removing all files and re-installing 5.6 did allow ther upgrade to work - I did not know about the new path ../Documents and Settings/All Users/Application Data/Retrospect for config data.

Once I removed that stuff, I re-installed 5.6, then the upgrade worked as planned.

Thanks. I owe you both some beers or dinner or...no wait a second...Dantz owes you I think as I was about to dump this upgrade for a refund.

Archived