Catalog File Deleted

I am a newbie with retrospec, I started a new job a few months ago and got thrown into the mess.

But anyway my question is, we have Retrospec 5. The lady that usually did the back up went to the external drive and deleted EVERYTHING on it including the catalog file. They had not copied the catalog file to a safe place on the harddrive just incase this ever happened.

I have tried everything to restore this file on the external hard drive. It keeps asking for a backup disk, I am clueless to what this is or where to get it?

We have a Western Digital My Book Essential Edition 2.0 for our external hard drive.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

There are two components to a backup:

(1) Retrospect's backup data itself (a/k/a the "backup set"); and

(2) Retrospect's "catalog" for the backup set.

The backup set is a database, holding the backed up files, metadata, etc. The catalog is an index into that database, and tells Retrospect where everything is in the backup set.

You can rebuild the catalog from the backup set, and that's what you need to do. It's unclear whether you are trying to do a "restore" or a "catalog rebuild". There is no way to do a "restore" without a catalog. If the catalog has been deleted, you first have to rebuild the catalog from scratch. Make sure that you first do a catalog rebuild. Retrospect will ask you where the backup set is so that it can do the catalog rebuild from scratch. That can take a long time.

It keeps asking for a backup disk, I am clueless to what this is or where to get it?

Retrospect is trying to find the backup set.

Perhaps you can do the catalog rebuild, perhaps not, because it's unclear what you mean by this:

The lady that usually did the back up went to the external drive and deleted EVERYTHING on it including the catalog file. They had not copied the catalog file to a safe place on the harddrive just incase this ever happened.

Did she delete the catalog file AND the backup set? If so, then you are out of luck.

Time to revert to your offsite backup copy. You do have one, don't you? If the backup set gets destroyed (or deleted), that's your only way to recover.

Russ