Unforgettable and useless client with no uninstall

DrBoar

Retrospect 6.1.230 dual G5 2 GB RAM 10.5.8

Client 8.3.027 Intel mac 10.6

A client refuses to be logged in, while showing up on the network, atempts of logging it in gets an error that "the client is not running".

On the client side the application is "on"

So I tried to uninstall i, accoeding to the knowledgebase there are an uninstall option on the client installer.

The problem is that the client does not cater for uninstalls and reinstalling does not remove what ever is messing with the client.

Our department have been flying with Retrospect since the mid 90s, but it appears that we better look for a crashplan as Retro 8 is such a Dodo

Edited by Guest

On the client side the application is "on"

What is shown in the Status field of the Retrospect Client application?

there are an uninstall option on the client installer.

True; there are.

the client does not cater for uninstalls

What does this mean? The client does not provide food for uninstall events?

What happens when you try to run the Uninstaller routine in the Client installer?

Some more specifics would be helpful, such as what happens if you try to add by IP address instead of picking from the Multicast list, whether or not you've restarted the retrorun process on the client (or restarted the machine), what versions of the software are being used all around, etc etc etc.

Dave

What happens when you try to run the Uninstaller routine in the Client installer?

Were the heck is the uninstaller hiding? There is a step called Installation type but as far as I can tell that it either install or repair.

Some more specifics would be helpful, such as what happens if you try to add by IP address instead of picking from the Multicast list, whether or not you've restarted the retrorun process on the client (or restarted the machine), what versions of the software are being used all around, etc etc etc.

I get an actvator code conflict if I try to add by IP.

If I try to log into the client for configuration I get an error 541 that the client either is not installed or not running

As stated in my first message

Client 8.3.027 Intel mac 10.6

do state versions of software and OS and hardware.

Sorry about "cater" I think I have heard it being used for taking care of various needs in a more broad sense but I seem to be misstaken. My only excuse for having been led astray is that english is not my mother tounge

You reiterated your Retrospect engine and client versions, but I think you may have them mixed up a bit. If you're running Retrospect 6.1.230, then your post should not be in a Retrospect 8 forum. And, I don't think there is such a thing as Client version 8.3.027, however there is a 6.3.027. If you just mixed your 6 and 8 up, then that tells us that you're running Retrospect Engine 8.1.230... which means that you're not running the latest build, i.e. 8.1.626, which addresses many many many bugs.

Have I guessed right?

Edited by Guest

Were the heck is the uninstaller hiding?

At the risk of offending someone, Jesus Effing Christ.

All those years of the awful VISE installer for the client software, with all of us begging for an Apple Installer package so we could do remote installs via ARD.

But the VISE installer did provide an uninstall script, and you're right to observe that Apple's installer does not.

Would have been easy as pie to have created an AppleScript to do the same thing, but no one at EMC considered that when they switched installer technologies?

I'm gonna go barf.

The main file that you probably want to nuke is [color:purple]/Library/Preferences/retroclient.state[/color]

That file has your password and settings; stop the retroclient process (via command line, Activity Monitor or Command+Click the "off" radio button in the Retrospect Client application), trash that file, restart the client process and you should see a status of "Waiting for first access."

Apologies for leading you astray above; I hadn't run the installer locally since the new one was released.

DAve

If you're running Retrospect 6.1.230, then your post should not be in a Retrospect 8 forum.

You've reiterated that you are running Retrospect 6.1.230. If so, then it doesn't matter what forum you use to post; you've got an unsupported configuration. Retrospect 6.1.x is unsupported and known to break if used with Snow Leopard (Mac OS 10.6.x), including use with Retrospect clients running on Snow Leopard.

See Retrospect Snow Leopard Compatibility Statement

It's just plain broken, and unsupported.

Russ

Would have been easy as pie to have created an AppleScript to do the same thing, but no one at EMC considered that when they switched installer technologies?

And it should have been easy as pie for Software QA/QC to have noticed this during testing, if any was done. Amy Jensen is much missed.

I'm gonna go barf.

That's going to leave a big mess in your mom's basement, Dave, with all of those Cheetos that you have been eating....

Russ

Amy Jensen is much missed

Well, confidentially (that's funny, no?) Amy was in Tech Support when she was a presence on the Forum (as was the Fabulous Irena Solomon) under the tutelage of master Mayoff. The QA elves in Dantz of Yore toiled mostly in anonymity.

Amy's twin infants probably keep her too busy to worry much about software defects nowadays...

I started with asking about the uninstaller in theRetrospect 6.3.027 client so that is obviously a Retrospect 8 question not restrospect 6.

Unsupported or not 6.1.230 retro and the Retro 8 client with the logical name 6.3.027 (as to not confuse it with clients to use with old retrospect 6) actually works flawlessly with several computers running OSX 10.6!

Our beloved IT-department is shutting down the linux IMAP mailserver forcing us to to migrate to MS exchange and also restricting us to 500 MB of email on the server...

So we have to have 10.6 for best exchange support on the macs on one hand on the other hand it wrecks hawoc on some of the backups in Retro 6.1 the only backup system that I have a manual for and that works very nice still with the Win XP boxes.

Thanks for the advice CallMeDave on the preference file I will try that.

Hmm I went and looked for that file. I can not find it in Library/preferences either system or user library...

I can not find it in Library/Preferences/

Yeah, I didn't want to get into the history of the retroclient.state file and the multiple locations it's had since the OS X Client was introduced way back in what, 2000 or so? It's at the above path on new installs now, but it could be in any of the other places depending on when you first installed the client software.

Use your preferred searching method (Spotlight, find, locate, etc) to find the guy; it's there somewhere. That was why the uninstaller option of the VISE installer was helpful; it looked in all 3 or 4 locations for the file to delete.

Dave