Outlook control thru client?

dantzbs

Silly newbiew question perhaps but does the shutdown/restart of Outlook work on remote systems through the Retrospect client? I have not been able to get this to work.

Obivously I end up with the 'outlook.pst' file not getting backed up because it was locked during the backup. I have the client service running as "me" on the remote system. Both computers are Win2000 SP3. "me" has Admin capabilities on the remote system.

If this is not supported can someone point me to an external script solution to stop/start Outlook during the overnight b/u?

Thanks,

dantzbs - Austin, TX

If non-message items, such as appointments or tasks, are open, Retrospect will not shut down and relaunch Outlook, even when the option to do so is selected.

If there are no non-message items open at the time of the backup, try a clean installation of the client (uninstall / reboot / reinstall).

I will try a clean install of the client and let you know. I know about the limitation with open items in Outlook. Is there a log somewhere that I can look at (client or server) to see more what might be going on? Is there some sort of debug mode I can run in?

I take it by your answer that this should be working, i.e. Outlook should stop and restart on a Cient machine?

Thanks for your prompt response on this. I am just starting with Retrospesct and am already sold.

Still could not get it to work.

1. Reinstalled the client on computer A.

2. Start Immediate Backup from computer B.

3. Outlook was running but nothing was "open" on it on computer A.

I sat and watched computer A while the backup was running. Outlook never flinched.

Otherwise the backup proceeded completely OK. Of course the Outlook mail file on computer A did not backup - it was recorded as being locked.

I actually tried two slightly different backups and they both did not shut down Outlook.

a. defined the source to be the two disks on computer A.

b. defined the source to be computer A.

Specs:

Both computer A and B are running Win2000 SP3.

Outlook folder on computer A is at D:\outlook.pst

Running Outlook 2000 SR-1 (9.0.05414) on computer A.

Logged in to computer A as user "me" (with Admin privileges.)

I have verified that the Retrospect Client service is running on computer A. I have it running with "Log On As" set to "me".

Retrospect Helper service on computer A is setup as automatic with "Log On As" set to "me".

Everything looks OK on computer B.

What else can I tell you? What else can I try? I would really like to get this working.

Otherwise like I requested earlier in this thread I would appreciate a pointer to any info at Dantz that would help be setup an external script to try and get this working.

Thanks a bunch for your support. I really appreciate it.

Archived