Richy_Boy

Proper Linux GUI + backup client

Many people are now starting to use Linux for their desktops and Ubuntu (I believe) is the most popular desktop OS out there now.

How about a proper installer for debian based systems, with the same GUI available for Windows and Mac clients...?

I now use Ubuntu on our Domain on my laptop, yet I have to bodge an install of the redhat installer on using Alien - with no GUI available.

Rich

• Like 14

yes, yes, one thousand times yes.

having a generic unix tarball, or at LEAST debian and yum installation packages would be super excellent.

Would you believe it, there's already a linux (JAVA) GUI in place.

sudo /usr/local/dantz/client/RetroClient.sh will fire it up :)

Still needs a better installer and automatically detecting and adding a menu option would be super too! (maybe under system tools).

Rich

..but it runs under Debian/Ubuntu just fine if you use Alien to install the RPM.

I use Ubuntu 9.10 and it's fine - although not what I would call a nice solution. There's a how-to on getting it running under Ubuntu on this forum.

Rich

a) it's not supported by retrospect, so even though you CAN do it, if you have problems then you're SOL

B) it is EXTREMELY unreliable if you use alien to install it in an amd64 linux distro (which is what I use)

c) using the RPM does not really integrate correctly. The service doesn't always start correctly at boot time, the gui is flakey, etc (at least for me)

But point A is the main one.