Sources not found

theralph

I also am having the same issue with Sources showing up in the list but when I hit browse it says Source Unavailable and when I try to do a backup I get this error message:

Can't access backup client Ralph Scherer’s Desktop, error -519 ( network communication failed)

This is very frustrating. I am on the latest engine and console.

I also have turned the firewall completely off on both the engine and the client machine.

Edited by Guest

I have the same problem. After a few days of operation, the server gives the -530 "client not found" error for all six clients.

The funny thing is, I can ping these machines just fine; the problem stays even if the firewall on both machines are completely off. Nmap shows that the client machines are clearly listening on 497.

I was able to solve this once by deleting all the clients from Retrospect and re-adding them manually, but clearly this is not a viable workaround, and now I have the same problem once again.

I can't do any backups at all right now. This is very frustrating.

Check the status of the client on each of those "not found" computers - if it says "Not Running" as the status, then you're probably facing the same thing I tracked down a while ago. In a nutshell, the client machines were restarting (whenever someone restarted them) without actually launching the Client. This was despite the fact that the client was included in the Startup Items folder.

The reason was that the OS had placed a hidden file named ".disabled" in Startup Items, which prohibited the processing of the startup items. I believe that it did this after someone, at some point in time, chose to resolve an error message that came up, saying that permissions for some things in Startup Items were incorrect, offering three choices - Fix, Decide Later, or Disable.

I had tried reinstalling the Client without success, discovering that I needed to manually remove the ".disabled" file via Terminal. Once I did remove it, the Client was invoked on Startup as it should.

The other issue I faced was in OS X's firewall settings; I had to reset them by removing the firewall exception for Retrospect, then toggling the Client to status="turned off" then back to status="ready"; once I did, the OS prompted me to confirm whether or not to allow incoming connections (i.e. create a new firewall exception for retrospect); I chose yes.

For more detailed instructions, read the latter part of this thread:

http://forums.dantz.com/showtopic.php?tid/31704/

I am having same problem with sources not showing up at two different installations with 626. All proactive backups are failing. One site is MacOS-X Server 10.5.8, other is 10.6.2. All client machines are Windows XP or Vista. I was able to get the 10.6.2 site working again by manually adding the IP addresses but they still don't show up in the sources. I will probably try downgrading the other site to 622. All sources will answer if you put in the specific IP address. Tested with all firewalls off and same results.

Thanks for the hints, but I had already checked the (more or less) obvious things. Clients are running; I can see (using nmap) that the processes are clearly listening on the Retrospect port; I can even telnet to that port from the server machine.

Since all clients vanished at the same time, I suspected the server as the culprit; and so I tried to turn off & on the engine using the preference panel. Unfortunately that didn't work. I had too "persuade" the engine using kill -9 to quit, and voilá, the clients were "found" again.

So at least this time it was probably a hung engine; the last time this happened, though, the problem survived a server restart, so it must have been something else.

Well, problem solved for now. But I would prefer a much more stable system. The administration of this is costing me too much time.

Thanks for the tip on killing the Retrospect process. This worked on the 10.5.8 Server and clients immediately showed up after the process respawned. Jury is still out on the 10.6.2 Server however. After the kill -9 the process did not respawn. Using the System Preference to restart it was unsuccessful. I'll have to try rebooting the machine after-hours and hopefully all will be well.

Agreed but what changed in 626 to cause it? Both these installations were successfully finding their clients with 622 and stopped on the day [color:red]I installed 626[/color] with no other network, software or hardware changes.

Your installation changed it. The Mac Software Firewall is very picky, and the Retrospect installer doesn't seem to deal with it correctly. It needs to be opened up again correctly for the new install.

Russ

On the 10.6.2 server after killing the Retrospect process I rebooted the server. After rebooting the Retrospect server process came back up but I was still unable to see any sources. I used the Retrospect system preference to stop the server and restart it and after that the sources showed up. This is clearly a Retrospect Server problem.

For me, RetroEngine is not a launchctl-controlled process... it doesn't appear with "launchctl list".

For me, FileMaker Pro Server, CrashPlan and Daylite Server also don't show up with "launchctl list" but they most certainly run at system startup time!

[color:purple]/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.retrospect.launchd.retroengine.plist[/color]