How do I move catalog files from C: to D: drive?

Sburk

The default location for retrospect 7.6 catalog files is ..\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Retrospect which in my case is on the C: drive.

I want to move the catalog files to a larger drive which is the D: drive. What is the best way to do this?

I have just performed the following. I recently moved Retrospect from one server to another.

http://kb.dantz.com/display/2n/articleDirect/index.asp?aid=9526&r=0.3837397

Thank you!

I think you meant to link to KB article 9526 - the correct link is here:

KB article 9526 - moving Retrospect

Crafting links into the KB is an art - only way to do it is via the "Bookmark" link on the right side of the article.

Basically, you do the exact same thing to move the catalog files. Steps 2 and 4 in that KB article are the key, and tell one way to do it.

The better way, rather than how step 4 in the KB article suggests, is to follow the suggestion in the Retrospect Users Guide, pages 272-273:

Moving Retrospect

4. Next you must force Retrospect ... to recognize the Catalog Files you just moved.

The easiest way to do this is to select all of the catalogs in the Windows Explorer, and drag them onto the Retrospect application icon. Retrospect opens a backup set configuration window for each Catalog, causing it to recognize the catalogs.

Russ

Thanks Russ. You are correct, I was trying to link that KB article you posted. Good to know! :)

So basically I can just put them in D:\RetrospectCatlaogs and then follow the steps in the user's guide that you posted and retrospect will play nicely?

Also, just to correct myself above. The default location of the catalog files is actually: ..\My Documents\Retrospect Catalog Files

Edited by Guest

Sorry but this doesn't seem to be groovy. I copy the catalog files to D:\Retrospect_Catalogs.

I double click each catalog file (I only have 4) and retrospect opens the backup set configuration...as expected.

I try to view snapshots and nothing is listed. I try to run a backup and it says 'configuration not complete'.

Do I need to run a repair on the catalogs or something?

Thanks!!

That's puzzling, because I made exactly the same suggestion to someone else recently, and it worked perfectly:

Moving catalog location

No rebuild should be needed. It may be that Retrospect is confused by the old catalogs in the old location.

Try hiding them away (move them somewhere) before you do the drag thing.

Note also that you are doing two things:

(1) moving Retrospect, and

(2) then moving the catalogs.

Your error might be that Retrospect is now confused as to the sources and destinations, or perhaps everything wasn't moved over. Check pages 272-273 of the users guide because I really do think it has the right steps.

Russ

Edited by Guest

Before you do that, save one of the catalogs away and try rebuilding it from scratch (not just updating it). That will give you the opportunity to create a new catalog in the new location, just to verify that there's not something odd about the catalog location.

The catalog just has database pointers into the backup set, not into itself.

This has me scratching my head.

Russ