Restore repeatedly fails error-34 volume full

A month ago I had to restore a backup from a removable disk set to a new (new to me, but second-hand) intel imac. it worked fine. Now the 250g drive in that iMac has failed and I have replaced it with a new 500g. Following instructions I reinstalled leopard and updated to same as dead disk - 10.5.8. All goes smoothly on restore until it suddenly stops with message in log:

- 5/11/2009 12:14:43: Restoring from MWF…

Can't write file “libHPIOnetsnmp.5.dylibâ€, error -34 (volume full), path: “Michael's Disk/Library/Frameworks/HPServicesInterface.framework/Versions/A/Libraries/libHPIOnetsnmp.5.dylibâ€.

Trouble writing files, error -34 (volume full).

This has happened three times and I do not know what is the cause. What makes it worse is that the iMac refuses to startup and the sytems have to be reinstalled each time. Any isdeas what can be causing this?

I read in one post about a '.DS_' file being the cause, but I don't seem to have on on my backup? Any other workable solutions?

Comments and two suggestions.

HP drivers (this is an SNMP DLL for HP) have been problematic, and Apple and HP have battled over who should do the printer updates for Leopard and Snow Leopard.

Unknown what version of Retrospect you are using. That information might be useful.

Unknown whether you have an HP printer that you are trying to support.

Unknown what format the new drive is. Could you do a "Get Info" on the boot volume and report its filesystem format?

(1) Before the restore, try updating the HP drivers.

(2) Before the restore, deselect the restore of this file.

Report back results.

Russ

Thanks for your reply.

Retrospect is 6.1.230, latest client software on destination disk.

Yes, I have two HP printers, color laserjet and 2840, both of which worked with 10.5.8 on the disk that went down, which is why they are on the backup.

Disk is mac OS Extended (journalled) on a GUID partition.

I shall try restore again tomorrow (am in UK). Is this HP file causing the problem or the file that was loaded before it (i.e. the file that appears in the snapshot immediately before this HP file). Should I just omit the complete Frameworks HP folder

Roger

Retrospect is 6.1.230, latest client software on destination disk.

Ok, but that's not enough information for three reasons:

(1) you don't say the version of the Retrospect Driver Update ("RDU"). While mostly only device support is added in this file, it's also possible to install bug fix updates in the RDU. Check that, update if necessary. The RDU version is printed in the Retrospect log each time Retrospect launches. If no RDU version is given alongside the Retrospect version in the logs, then you don't have an RDU installed.

(2) These forums are not just for your personal support, but for the support of other users with your same issue who might search the forums for a solution. "Latest version" of the client doesn't mean anything months from now when someone searches the forums to see if their problem was solved by your solution. Also, at least every week or two someone reports that they have the "latest version" when they don't, and updating sometimes solves the problem.

(3) Your mention here of a Retrospect client being involved is the first mention that this isn't simply a local restore, as was implied in your original problem statement. For that reason, it's now interesting to know what version of Mac OS is on the machine running Retrospect as well.

Since a second machine is involved, you might consider dispensing with the Retrospect client, formatting the new 500 GB drive into HFS+ (Mac OS Extended (journalled), GUID, putting that target iMac into Target Disk Mode ("TDM") and attaching it as a local firewire disk on the machine running Retrospect, do the 10.5.8 install and restore onto that TDM disk. That way, you aren't trying to install on top of a live system.

Yes, I have two HP printers, color laserjet and 2840, both of which worked with 10.5.8 on the disk that went down, which is why they are on the backup.

Is this HP file causing the problem or the file that was loaded before it (i.e. the file that appears in the snapshot immediately before this HP file). Should I just omit the complete Frameworks HP folder

Looks like it's that file. Retrospect 6 is pretty mature, and the errors are usually believable.

Try omitting the HP Frameworks folder, install the HP stuff after the restore. Or, alternatively, get the initial restore done, check that it boots, then restore the HP frameworks folder on top.

What makes it worse is that the iMac refuses to startup and the sytems have to be reinstalled each time.

Does it also refuse to start up in Safe Mode?

Might just be that the HP startup is barfing, which Safe Mode would bypass.

Russ

Sorry for the lack of info

Your questions:

1 RDU is 6.1.15.101

2 Client is 6.2.234

3 Host machine is running 10.4.11

The target machine will not start up even in Safe Mode - the apple appears, then the cog wheel, then the machine restarts. I have tried deleting the Framework folder (using Target mode) but it makes no difference - something else seems to have been corrupted.

The target mac now has 10.5.8 re-installed and I shall try your suggestion of a TDM restore.

Many thanks

Ok. Looks like you are doing everything right.

Report back on your results of the TDM restore.

I always get nervous installing on top of a live system. I have a spare FireWire drive just for that purpose, with an installed Mac OS X and a Retrospect client, that I can carry around in an emergency and reinstall on our iMacs.

I also took the time to craft a Retrospect emergency DVD (you have to do it by hand from a Mac OS X install DVD - the old Retrospect emergency CD used a version of Mac OS X that was too old to boot all of our machines - with special hacking to cause Retrospect to appear in the menu for the Mac OS X installer) with drivers for our tape drive and special hardware (RAID cards, SoftRAID, etc.) to boot our xServe in case an emergency restore is needed there.

When you are in the midst of a crisis, and the server is down and people need to get work done, is not the time to find out that you can't get there from here to do the bare metal restore.

Russ