Using Retrospect to back up from Clones

Steve & Russ,

Moving the files back into XP via CD caused the test file to be unreadable in the Virus total site same as before.

Also running 8.1 yields the same result with MapErrors and can't read errors.

Doing a little soul searching it looks as if the date of the test.xps file coincides with the day I let Garmin take over my computer to intall the latest map update to my GPS, so garmin may be the source but that doesn't account for the behavior. It looks as if I can live without both files anyway.

I remain concerned with the MapErrors but will try a restore sometime in the future to see if the partition functions post restore.

I left you with a few questions on my last reply if you have answers may the force be with you.

Bill

My first run of test.xps with virustotal was by browsing from the Mac into the file located in My Docs in the XP partition; result: nothing.

My second run with virustotal was browsing from within XP and Lo the file tests good 0/41, same file description as with the other good test. Possibly I can't browse/import across platforms. Just FYI.

Bill

My feeling is -- if you don't need the files at this point -- trash them.

Really.

If they are important to an app, the app will complain about them (or recreate them).

These are not "OS" files -- they are files in your "My Documents" folder, so they should not affect the operation of your XP partition.

When you say I am already hosed on the windows side, would I be able to determine this by running AVG, which I have run?

I didn't quite say that. I said that, if the test.xps file contained a trojan, rootkit, etc., inside the ZIP, masquerading as an .xps document, then, by "running it" (the test.xps file) in Windows, you might have installed the trojan, rootkit, whatever, in which case you were hosed.

The fact that you were able to upload the copied file to virustotal from the Mac side (which wasn't infected), and get negative response, means that, with a high probability, the test.xps file doesn't contain a virus.

As for running AVG, the problem is that you can't trust anything running on an infected system if the virus gets control before the anti-virus program can see it. The only sure way to detect is to boot from a known-uninfected system (such as a Linux read-only CD) and run the anti-virus checker there. For a digression that might stimulate thought, see Ken Thompson's famous and seminal Turing Award lecture from years ago:

Reflections on Trusting Trust

Read it slowly and carefully, then reflect.

Did I misunderstand or did you say that running the 6.1 program on my Snow Leopard machine to back up the files on my wifes Leopard (no snow) is not a working process? The log file looks OK.

You did not misunderstand. Retrospect 6.1 is broken on Snow Leopard. Unsupported. Unpredictable results. The problem is not only in the backup, but in the restore. See the compatibility statement:

Snow Leopard Compatibility Statement

Unsupported Configurations

The following Retrospect configurations are unsupported with Snow Leopard, and they will remain unsupported in the future.

• EMC Retrospect 6.1 and earlier for Mac
  • EMC Retrospect 7.5 and earlier for Windows

Being very conservative (I have lost more than 5 HDs here at home over the years and recovered from all but the first) I have not yet installed an 8.1 client nor Snow Leopard on my Wifes iMac. Snow Leopard will definitely wait till retrospect is ready but would it be wise to install an 8.1 client on her machine and backup her machine using 8.1 on my Snow leopard machine? Can I run both clients on her machine?

Yes. The only supported configuration on Snow Leopard is Retrospect 8.1. No, because both clients will compete for port 497.

It has been asked many times but not unambiguously answered whether the Snow Leopard client works with / is supported for Retrospect 6.1.x, and/or whether the last Retrospect 6.x client, running on a (not Snow) Leopard Mac, works with / is supported for Retrospect 8.1 running on Snow Leopard. Something like that should be answered in the Release Notes for the Retrospect 8.1 client, but there are no release notes for that client. There seems to be a pattern of missing documentation for Retrospect 8.1 ...

Good luck.

Russ

Hi Russ,

You have been extremely patient, and very helpful, with me.

Let me summarize less I err in interpretation.

I'm trashing the files Outlook and test (they are on a CD in case something comes up, or down.

Your referenced article on trust was very interesting, even for a retired physicist. Quite frightening actually.

I will now use 8.1 (running on my Snow leopard machine) to back up my wifes Leopard (no snow) machine and the stand alone Compaq XP which I use for an answering machine and the XP partition on my Snow Leopard iMac. I will install 8.1 clients on the Compaq and non Snow iMac.

For my Snow bound iMac I will rely on Super Duper and Time machine until such time as Retrospect addresses Snow Leopard issues.

Thank You very much for your time and expertise,

Bill

Sounds like a plan. The only thing I don't understand is why you don't use Retrospect 8.1 on your Snow Leopard iMac.

Seems only to be an issue with these two files.

If you have deleted these two files, I would think that Retrospect 8.1 could handle the job (Daylight Savings Time bug excepted, but that should be fixed real soon now).

You might want to submit these two files to EMC Retrospect's support group so that they could investigate the issue and put it on their bug fix list.

And, even if these two files weren't deleted, couldn't you write an appropriate Selector (oh, sorry, "Rule") to exclude them, or just exclude the whole XP volume and use some other solution to back that volume up?

I do believe that you have isolated the test.xps to the Garmin installation.

Russ

Hi Russ,

I am running the 8.1 program on my Snow leopard imac but not backing the Snow leopard iMac up, as the Snow leopard Compatability page says that 8.1 does not back up compressed files like Snow Leopard uses and they add that Snow leopard may complain about the file inconsistancy. In a dialog with tech support I was told they did not know what complain meant.

I can't find the email in which they indicated that they did not know what complain meant but I have a previous trial that i have attached, thus I am not backing up my Snow leopard machine.

From EMC Read bottom to top

That's really the only real issue.

We'll have an update for Snow Leopard compatibility that handles

compressed files. Due in about 2 weeks.

Regards,

Heather Simone

EMC2 Inside Sales Account Manager

6701 Koll Center Parkway

Pleasanton, CA 94566

Direct: 925-600-6825

Toll Free: 877-222-5870

Fax: 925-600-5296

simone_heather@emc.com

www.retrospect.com

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Monday, September 21, 2009 12:56 PM

To: Simone, Heather

Subject: Re: Snow leapord Support

Hi Heather,

I still am somewhat confused, must be age related.

Snow leopard 10.6 uses compressed files for things like fonts, to reduce

the disk utilization. So I'm not sure what happens when I restore a Snow

leopard volume. Does what was previously compressed come back as

uncompressed? and if so, how does Snow Leopard deal with the

uncompressed files?

Thank You,

Bill Mullen

This is a virus free Mac product

On Sep 21, 2009, at 1:47 PM, wrote:

Hi Bill,

See answers to your questions below.

Regards,

Heather Simone

Sent: Monday, September 21, 2009 6:53 AM

To: Simone, Heather

Subject: Re: Snow leapord Support

Heather,

Does having support for Snow leopard mean that you will be able to

restore compressed files ? no, it only means the product will run

backup in snow leopard (10.6)

Also I have never felt comfortable backing up the Boot Camp partition

with Retrospect. Is this something that is now officially supported ?

backing up a bootcamp partition is done all the time, but requires the

windows product to be installed on the windows partition

Hi

Thank You,

Bill Mullen

On Sep 17, 2009, at 5:44 PM,

wrote:

Hi Bill,

We will have support for Snow Leopard later this month.

http://kb.dantz.com/article.asp?article=9723&p=2

Regards,

Heather Simone

EMC2 Inside Sales Account Manager

6701 Koll Center Parkway

Pleasanton, CA 94566

Direct: 925-600-6825

Toll Free: 877-222-5870

Fax: 925-600-5296

simone_heather@emc.com

www.retrospect.com

Posted At: Wednesday, September 16, 2009 6:26 PM Posted To: Sales

Conversation: Snow leapord Support

Subject: Snow leapord Support

I would like to upgrade to Retrospect 8 for the mac when the Snow

Leopard issues have been resolved. Is there any way to be informed as

to when this happens?

Bill Mullen

Bottom

I will submit these two files to retrospect for their bugs list.

Thanks,

Bill

I am running the 8.1 program on my Snow leopard imac but not backing the Snow leopard iMac up, as the Snow leopard Compatability page says that 8.1 does not back up compressed files like Snow Leopard uses and they add that Snow leopard may complain about the file inconsistancy.

Note that your conversation with EMC support was back in September. There was a Retrospect 8.1.622 release after your email that addressed most of the Snow Leopard issues. I understand that there are still some minor issues with the Snow Leopard client, and, of course, there are some embarrassments with the DST bug and the fact that Retrospect can't handle a humongous volume size >= 8 TB. Those fixes are expected, um, real soon now. Things are generally moving in a forward direction with each bugfix release.

But I really do believe that Retrospect 8.1 should do what you need on your setup. If not, report back and we'll try to struggle through it with you.

Russ