Using Retrospect to back up from Clones

For years now I have been using Retrospect to back up from Clones; IE: I use Ghost to create a clone of my XP computer and Super Duper to clone my iMac (on which I have Retrospect installed. More recently (since I have a Bootcamp XP partition on the Mac) I have created a backup set for the XP partition.

Since upgrading to 8.1 I get several errors when backing up the inactive XP partition. It was suggested, in this forum, that I install a client in the XP Partition and have the XP partition running when I back it up.

I have 2 questions.

I don't know how to have the XP Bootcamp partition active at the same time I'm running Retrospect on the Snow Leopard side of the iMac.

Is using Retrospect to back up from clones an unsupported process?

Bill

you can't. The suggestions have been for those running Parallels or VMware, where a Windows virtual machine is running alongside Mac OS. In such a situation, a Retrospect client running in the Windows VM box can chat to Retrospect running in the Mac OS (or running on another computer).

If you are running Bootcamp, that's all that's running. You would have to back up to Retrospect running on another computer.

Russ

I appreciate your response, thank you!

If I buy VMware and run it along side the Mac OS, does that use one of my three licenses even though it is on the same machine?

If that is the case, maybe I should continue to use 6.1 to back up the inactive Boot camp partition.

Seems to me that Retrospect has tried to complicate what used to be a rather straight forward process.

Maybe I should just dump Retrospect and make the best of Time machine and Super Duper. Any Opinion?

Bill

If I buy VMware and run it along side the Mac OS, does that use one of my three licenses even though it is on the same machine?

yes. You can always buy additional client licenses.

If that is the case, maybe I should continue to use 6.1 to back up the inactive Boot camp partition.

I'm confused. I thought you had upgraded to 8.1. Trust me, you don't want 6.x alongside 8.1. They compete for ports and devices.

You really want to back up Windows through the Retrospect Windows client, regardless of whether you use Retrospect 6.1 or 8.1. It's got nothing to do with the version of Retrospect.

Seems to me that Retrospect has tried to complicate what used to be a rather straight forward process.

No. Retrospect 8.1 is just immature and needs to mature a bit.

Maybe I should just dump Retrospect and make the best of Time machine and Super Duper. Any Opinion?

I'm not going to enter that debate. Those programs are different tools for different purposes, and neither of them support backup to tape, which is our requirement. SuperDuper! is great as a cloning program, and I've used it (and still use it) for that. But it's not a backup program, which Retrospect is.

When Retrospect 8 matures a bit and some of its warts are fixed, and when it gains the ability to read backups made by older versions of the program (what a concept that a backup program would be expected to read backups that were made by earlier versions of the program...), and when it becomes scriptable (necessary to back up a live server), it will be a good program.

Russ

Russ,

Thank you very much for your considered response. I like the idea of being able to read the old backup sets, or at least have a converter which will restructure the old sets to run with 8.1.

I noticed that when I installed Snow leopard that all timed backups (done with Time machine) prior to the installation were trashed. Kinda similar to the retrospect change from 6.1 to 8.1.

I have become addicted to cloning both the Mac and PC as it is soooo easy to restore to the cloned state. I clone once a week or prior to any significant update or change in software. Once the clone is complete I run retrospect on the clone.

I am left with one question: Is backing up from a Super Duper clone a bad idea, IE; will the backup I obtain still be effective in restoring the iMac clone to the snapshot I select from retrospect ?

I am left with one question: Is backing up from a Super Duper clone a bad idea, IE; will the backup I obtain still be effective in restoring the iMac clone to the snapshot I select from retrospect ?

It depends.

If the iMac is running Mac OS X non-server, and if you aren't doing operations that would create an inconsistent database set on the iMac at the time the SuperDuper! clone is made, then you should be fine.

However, for example, if you were running a database program at the time the clone is made, then the database set may not be self-consistent on the disk that SuperDuper! uses as its source, and thus the clone will not have a self-consistent database.

Examples of such database issues are:

Many accounting programs, Apple Mail (and most mail client programs), the cyrus email server on a Mac OS Server, etc.

An alternate (and faster) way to clone a drive is to do a "RAID 1 mirror split" (again, with database programs not running, for the same reason above), which gives an instantaneous exact clone at the time of the mirror split. That's a trick that sysadmins have been using for years, and is what we do prior to making software changes on our xServe. Allows all services to keep running, 24/7/365 except for the brief moment of the mirror split. There's a white paper on the SoftRAID web site on this approach.

Basically, you add a RAID 1 member to the mirror, allow the mirror to rebuild in the background, wait for it to be built, shut off database services (email, etc.), split the mirror, restart services, then, if desired, back up the mirror or just keep it around as a bootable clone.

Russ

Thank you again.

Nice to know my clone process for mac will work.

To bad EMC has insured that backing up the inactive XP partition has lots of errors in 8.1 that weren't there with 6.1

Guess I'll be happy with Retrospect 8.1 once it handles Snow Leopard.

Meanwhile I guess it's 6.1 and revert to Leopard. Should have suspected adding snow would frost somebody.

Bill

Well, the fact that you didn't get an acknowledgment that a bug tracking number had been assigned probably means that it's fallen through the cracks.

I suggest that you repost (or link to) that thread (and this one) in the Retrospect 8.1 bugs forum, here:

Retrospect 8.1 bugs

This particular forum here is more of the "help" variety.

Russ

To bad EMC has insured that backing up the inactive XP partition has lots of errors...

Oh yes, I'm sure the engineers worked overtime to ensure that this behavior remains unreliable.

*File "/Volumes/XP-MAC/Documents and Settings/Bill/My Documents/Outlook.NK2": can't read, error -1002 ( unknown Mac OS error)

*File "/Volumes/XP-MAC/Documents and Settings/Bill/My Documents/test.xps": can't read, error -1002 ( unknown Mac OS error)

Completed: 116791 files, 42.7 GB

One hundred sixteen thousand, seven hundred ninety one files, and two erros.

I'm not saying that the -1002 errors are acceptable, but unless you're holding back a log example, your characterization seems a bit over the top.

Dave,

When restoring a hard drive I am hoping that the restored product will work. If one defective file causes me to be unable to start back up in the state that I backed up in then all 116791 files are of little use to me. If you are saying that the other "mapping errors", about which I can find no info, are of no consequence then maybe 2 files which I don't need are something I can deal with.

If you know that all the errors, except the two Can't read errors -1002 are of no consequence to a restore of that partition, I wold be pleased to continue using 8.1 for that partition.

Having been an engineer & engineering director for 40 years I have the ultimate faith in their intentions. I also know than on occasion management priorities, particularly marketing, present some challenges to addressing issues which engineering feels are important.

I have attached the error backup log for your consideration.

+ Normal backup using BillsiMacXP at 10/8/2009 2:54 AM

To Media Set BillsiMacXP...

****** Warning: volume "XP-MAC" has the "Ignore ownership" setting enabled. ******

- 10/8/2009 2:54:11 AM: Copying XP-MAC

MapError: unknown Mac error 93

MapError: unknown Mac error -5000

>

*File "/Volumes/XP-MAC/Documents and Settings/Bill/My Documents/Outlook.NK2": can't read, error -1002 ( unknown Mac OS error)

>

*File "/Volumes/XP-MAC/Documents and Settings/Bill/My Documents/test.xps": can't read, error -1002 ( unknown Mac OS error)

10/8/2009 4:04:05 AM: Snapshot stored, 28.4 MB

10/8/2009 4:04:07 AM: Comparing XP-MAC

10/8/2009 5:10:26 AM: 2 execution errors

Completed: 116791 files, 42.7 GB

Performance: 663.0 MB/minute (666.6 copy, 659.4 compare)

Duration: 02:16:14 (00:04:20 idle/loading/preparing)

Thank You,

Bill

It looks the same to me.

I have no idea as to what the MapErrors are.

Bill

I have attached the log file:

+ Normal backup using BillsiMacXP at 11/3/2009 9:27 AM

****** Warning: volume "XP-MAC" has the "Ignore ownership" setting enabled. ******

- 11/3/2009 9:27:57 AM: Copying XP-MAC

>

>

11/3/2009 9:53:11 AM: Snapshot stored, 29.0 MB

11/3/2009 9:54:03 AM: Comparing XP-MAC

11/3/2009 10:11:10 AM: 2 execution errors

Completed: 2319 files, 12.8 GB

Performance: 731.2 MB/minute (693.3 copy, 774.1 compare)

Duration: 00:43:12 (00:07:29 idle/loading/preparing)

The interesting part, Steve, is that Retrospect 6.1 didn't give these errors for ShamroxBill. It's a bit unclear (from his posts in this thread and his parallel related thread) whether that was the case before his upgrade (?) to Snow Leopard because Retrospect 6.1 doesn't work right on Snow Leopard.

Russ

Steve / Russ,

I'll try to clarify.

The test.xps file (I have no clue what it is or how it got in my documents folder) attempts to access an xps viewer on line when I run it. It was blocked by my firewall. It also opened firefox which in turn attempted to run a script which my firewall stopped. I am currently running a virus scan to make sure I don't have a problem. The creation date for the test file lies between the old Leopard and the Snow Leopard update.

My use of the windows side is limited to a little browsing, some web page maintenance with dreamweaver and financial management with Quicken

There is no Outlook file in my documents folder other than one titled Outlook (described as an outlook data file. No NK2 extension I can see.

Here is pre Snow leopard 6.1 log file:

- 8/29/2009 7:31:19 PM: Copying XP-MAC…

Can't read file “Outlook.NK2â€, error -5000 (server: no privileges), path: “XP-MAC/Documents and Settings/Bill/My Documents/Outlook.NK2â€.

8/29/2009 7:49:19 PM: Comparing XP-MAC…

8/29/2009 8:01:16 PM: 1 execution errors.

Completed: 5053 files, 5.3 GB

Performance: 432.9 MB/minute (413.9 copy, 453.7 compare)

Duration: 00:29:57 (00:04:54 idle/loading/preparing)

Here is post Snow leopard 6.1 log file:

∆ Retrospect version 6.1.230

launched at 10/31/2009 10:12 AM

+ Retrospect Driver Update, version 6.1.15.101

+ Normal backup using PCiMac at 10/31/2009 10:13 AM

To backup set PCiMac…

Warning: volume XP-MAC has the Ignore ownership setting enabled.

- 10/31/2009 10:13:17 AM: Copying XP-MAC…

Can't read file “Outlook.NK2â€, error -5000 (server: no privileges), path: “XP-MAC/Documents and Settings/Bill/My Documents/Outlook.NK2â€.

Can't read file “test.xpsâ€, error -5000 (server: no privileges), path: “XP-MAC/Documents and Settings/Bill/My Documents/test.xpsâ€.

10/31/2009 10:49:55 AM: Comparing XP-MAC…

10/31/2009 11:10:50 AM: 2 execution errors.

Completed: 2325 files, 12.8 GB

Performance: 626.0 MB/minute (627.8 copy, 624.3 compare)

Duration: 00:57:33 (00:15:50 idle/loading/preparing)

Quit at 10/31/2009 11:11 AM

I have already posted my post Snow Leopard 8.1 log file.

Seems that much of my problem comes with Snow Leopard but I am concerned with the MapErrors.

I have several other, unrelated to Retrospect problems, with Snow Leopard. Looks as if Steve takes some medical time off and their OS quality deteriorates.

If you can address the MapErrors I can delete the test.xps file once I know it is not a virus.

Thank You,

Bill

The test.xps file (I have no clue what it is or how it got in my documents folder) attempts to access an xps viewer on line when I run it.

Ok. That makes sense. It's clearly a Retrospect 8 bug for trying to follow that online.

Microsoft XPS viewer downloads

Wikipedia XPS page

Doubtful that you have a virus, but, if you are concerned, just submit the file to:

VirusTotal

and see what the various virus scanners report.

Seems that much of my problem comes with Snow Leopard but I am concerned with the MapErrors.

It's possible that this is debugging code. This is a great deal of new code, very immature.

Russ

The Outlook.NK2 file is a hidden file (which you can turn on view hidden files/folders from within XP.) If you don't use Outlook, you don't need it.

But, I'd be curious if you copied those two files from your XP partition to your mac hard disk -- what happens if you attempt to back them up there?

Do you have anti-virus software on your Mac side, by chance? If you do, do you get the same error messages when you turn that off and try to back up the XP partition?

Not sure if Russ' comment about a retrospect Bug was sarcastic or not, if so I'll accept that, I don't pretend to be an expert and I appreciate your help.

I did submit the test file to the virus scanner you suggest and got this message:

0 bytes size received / Se ha recibido un archivo vacio

I submitted another file and it was run thru many scans to prove OK.

Right now with Snow Leopard on my Mac I have given up backing up, other than Time machine and super Duper, which seem to work

Running 6.1 with the Mac Virus disabled I get this:

launched at 11/3/2009 9:25 PM

+ Normal backup using PCiMac at 11/4/2009 9:50 AM

To backup set PCiMac…

- 11/4/2009 9:50:59 AM: Copying XP-MAC…

Can't read file “test.xpsâ€, error -5000 (server: no privileges), path: “XP-MAC/Documents and Settings/Bill/My Documents/test.xpsâ€.

11/4/2009 10:19:17 AM: Comparing XP-MAC…

11/4/2009 10:26:24 AM: 2 execution errors.

Completed: 5746 files, 4.2 GB

Performance: 464.2 MB/minute (377.0 copy, 604.0 compare)

Duration: 00:35:25 (00:16:54 idle/loading/preparing)

Quit at 11/4/2009 10:26 AM

I have been unable to try 8.1 as it no longer sees any media sets.

I'm going to try a restart, something which almost never works with Snow Leopard, and see if the media sets can be detected. BTW I backup to an external 1TB HD.

Bill

I didn't think you had a virus. I think you might actually have a corrupt file.

That's why I suggested you copy those two files to your Mac hard disk and try backing them up there. If you can't copy them from their original location to something else -- that would indicate a problem.

If you get the same errors with the files on the mac end -- then it's probably the files that are the problem and not retrospect.

I ran 8.1 again on the XP partition, with virus scan off. This is the log.

+ Normal backup using BillsiMacXP at 11/4/2009 2:37 PM

- 11/4/2009 2:37:20 PM: Copying XP-MAC

>

>

11/4/2009 2:48:50 PM: Snapshot stored, 29.5 MB

11/4/2009 2:48:52 PM: Comparing XP-MAC

11/4/2009 2:54:38 PM: 2 execution errors

Completed: 5709 files, 4.2 GB

Performance: 693.9 MB/minute (653.9 copy, 741.3 compare)

Duration: 00:17:17 (00:05:02 idle/loading/preparing)

It is my understanding that to do something to the XP partition when XP is not running is a no no. Seems I read that somewhere. I'll start XP & copy and mail the files to myself.

I have just realized that I neglected to mention that I use WinClone to create an image of my XP partition. I treat it much as Super Duper but unlike Super Duper I have never had to restore from Winclone. Just a FYI.

Hi Russ / Steve,

I very much appreciate your persisence in helping me through this.

I have transferred both files (Outlook.NK2 & test.xps) with no notable problem. Time machine has backed them up OK. Since I do not have a working backup program for my Mac (with Snow Leopard) I will transfer both files to my Wifes Mac with Leopard (less the snow), then run a backup on her machine with 6.1 (which I have been using successfully).

Right now for whatever reason 6.1 says the client is not visable on the network so I'll restart & try again later this eve.

Cheers,

Bill

Lots of issues here.

It's clearly a Retrospect 8 bug for trying to follow that online.
Not sure if Russ' comment about a retrospect Bug was sarcastic or not, if so I'll accept that, I don't pretend to be an expert and I appreciate your help.

As hard as it may be for some to believe, there was no sarcasm at all in my comment. However, upon re-reading your earlier comment, it appears that I may have mis-interpreted one of your pronouns:

The test.xps file (I have no clue what it is or how it got in my documents folder) attempts to access an xps viewer on line when I run [color:red]it[/color].

In my hasty reading of your comment, I interpreted "it" in the context of the discussion of Retrospect 8 problems that weren't present with Retrospect 6.1, and I believed, at the time, that you meant that, when you "run it (Retrospect)", that you were taken online when the scan / backup reached the "test.xps" file.

That would be a most unusual bug, and had me scratching my head.

Re-reading your comment, it appears that you might, and probably were, discussing "running" the "test.xps" file, which caused something (Windows in Boot Camp?) to take you online.

My apologies, and there was no attempt at sarcasm, just confusion on my part.

I tried to answer your question about what a ".xps" file was by posting appropriate links; no sarcasm was intended there, either, just an attempt to answer your question.

I did submit the test file to the virus scanner you suggest and got this message:

0 bytes size received / Se ha recibido un archivo vacio

I submitted another file and it was run thru many scans to prove OK.

Ok, that would be consistent with Steve's suspicion that something is wrong with the "text.xps" file, because you apparently were unable to upload it.

Running 6.1 with the Mac Virus disabled I get this:

launched at 11/3/2009 9:25 PM

+ Normal backup using PCiMac at 11/4/2009 9:50 AM

To backup set PCiMac…

- 11/4/2009 9:50:59 AM: Copying XP-MAC…

11/4/2009 10:19:17 AM: Comparing XP-MAC…

11/4/2009 10:26:24 AM: 2 execution errors.

Completed: 5746 files, 4.2 GB

Performance: 464.2 MB/minute (377.0 copy, 604.0 compare)

Duration: 00:35:25 (00:16:54 idle/loading/preparing)

Quit at 11/4/2009 10:26 AM

Well, running Retrospect 6.1 under Snow Leopard doesn't produce any useful data - that's an unsupported configuration and is known to be broken. Doesn't work, never will. A discussion of "why" is way beyond the scope of this thread. No sarcasm intended there, either; Retrospect 6.1, running with the Carbon API, just has a very different expectation of the filesystem model, etc., than that presented by Snow Leopard.

However, it does show that both errors appear for 6.1 as they do for Retrospect 8.1, which hints at the fact that this is not something new with Retrospect 8.1. That lends more credence to Steve's observations.

I have been unable to try 8.1 as it no longer sees any media sets.

I suspect that this may be related to the catastrophic Daylight Savings Time bug with Retrospect 8.1, which just happened to rear its head during your testing. See these forums on that point.

It is my understanding that to do something to the XP partition when XP is not running is a no no. Seems I read that somewhere.

They are just bits, and you are just reading them.

Now, if you were to perturb the XP filesystem by writing stuff, that would be a different issue, but you are just reading bits. Bits is bits.

I have transferred both files (Outlook.NK2 & test.xps) with no notable problem.

Ok. It would be useful information to try submitting the "transferred" test.xps file to VirusTotal, see the results. I believe that its underlying structure is that of a ZIP archive.

Now, it's possible that a virus / trojan could be masquerading inside the ZIP (.xps) file, waiting for someone to "run it". In that case, you are already hosed on the Windows side.

Russ

Hi Russ/Steve,

My appreciation once again.

I have run the transferred file through Virus Total with 0/39, it ran this time. The appended is the additional information it provided me about the file:

Additional information

File size: 119139 bytes

MD5...: 61ba361aca6a369a70e83cdf24c9363b

SHA1..: 4cec4c295a52413456242bd05febd51878c21a93

SHA256: 961624b36eb140abf19af329b63347a541c23ac1d4d211d6d92374d8a872cc30

ssdeep: 3072:xxFWcMSbpgNFuagXZjdZwzHrjLsbRk7FKO2zle0NL:xxEcMSKN/KZJZwzHY

bRbzle0V

PEiD..: -

PEInfo: -

RDS...: NSRL Reference Data Set

-

pdfid.: -

trid..: XML Paper Specification (87.6%)

ZIP compressed archive (12.3%)

Autodesk FLIC Image File (extensions: flc, fli, cel) (0.0%)

sigcheck:

publisher....: n/a

copyright....: n/a

product......: n/a

description..: n/a

original name: n/a

internal name: n/a

file version.: n/a

comments.....: n/a

signers......: -

signing date.: -

verified.....: Unsigned

packers (F-Prot): UTF-8

I downloaded the viewer you suggested but lost my courage when it came time to install as I could see no benefit from doing so. I did keep the install package in case you think the risk of looking at the test file is near zero.

When you say I am already hosed on the windows side, would I be able to determine this by running AVG, which I have run?

I have just run 6.1 installed on my Snow Leopard bound iMac to back up the files on my wifes Leopard (with no snow) iMac. I have placed the two files in question, Test & Outlook, in her documents folder on her Super Duper, external drive, clone.

This is the log file:

launched at 11/4/2009 5:40 PM

+ Normal backup using Kay'siMacKlone at 11/4/2009 9:26 PM

To backup set Kays iMacClone…

- 11/4/2009 9:26:07 PM: Copying Kays iMac Klone on Freida Mullen’s eMAC HD…

11/4/2009 9:26:07 PM: Connected to Freida Mullen’s eMAC HD

11/4/2009 9:57:32 PM: Comparing Kays iMac Klone on Freida Mullen’s eMAC HD…

11/4/2009 9:57:38 PM: Execution completed successfully.

Completed: 8 files, 149 KB

Performance: 0.1 MB/minute (0.1 copy, 1.4 compare)

Duration: 00:31:31 (00:26:12 idle/loading/preparing)

Quit at 11/4/2009 9:57 PM

Looking at the catalog file I see both test and outlook are there. It appears as if transferring the files has made them whole. Maybe I should transfer them back and re-run 8.1.

Did I misunderstand or did you say that running the 6.1 program on my Snow Leopard machine to back up the files on my wifes Leopard (no snow) is not a working process? The log file looks OK.

Being very conservative (I have lost more than 5 HDs here at home over the years and recovered from all but the first) I have not yet installed an 8.1 client nor Snow Leopard on my Wifes iMac. Snow Leopard will definitely wait till retrospect is ready but would it be wise to install an 8.1 client on her machine and backup her machine using 8.1 on my Snow leopard machine? Can I run both clients on her machine?

Lastly, the missing 8.1 media was a cockpit error as somehow the media viewer got switched to disks only.

I'll post again when I backup the XP partition with the returned test and outlook files.