Sign in to follow this  
emulator

Catalog manifest to replace full scan

In order to speed up scanning of hard drives with large numbers of files, I would like to see Retrospect utilize a file manifest listing all files on the drive, and those files that are new or changed since the last backup. This way, Retrospect wouldn't have to scan the entire drive each time it did a backup. It would only need to consult the manifest to see what files have changed (or have been added) since the last backup.

I've seen this in some antivirus products to speed up full scans of hard drives.

I agree and also when it builds a snapshot it seems to scan the whole file structure again from memory, but it already scanned this before the backup phase.

I personally think the whole selector backup style should be an option in the client configuration. I can see its uses, but most of the time I know exactly what folders need backing up and there's one active user account per machine, so it's all a bit pointless...

Rich

Edited by Guest

You're not kidding. I edited maybe 20MB of files and it's taking nearly 25 minutes to scan the entire work server to find the 4 files I worked on today. Once it does the full scan, the backup itself takes about 3 minutes.