Server saying "media" but I've got erased tapes in there!

What you have is a "Backup server" script. You should have a "Backup" script.

(My own copy of Retrospect is running a backup right now, so I can't post a screenshot.)

ah! What is the difference? I wasn't the one who set ours up so I'm not sure why the existing scripts were created as Backup Server as opposed to Backup. I'm creating them on the server side (same machine which runs Retrospect Server to back up itself and a bunch of networked clients); which one do I want and why?

thanks!!

Mike

Backup Server is really for machines such as notebooks that come and go. It polls the network and sees machines appear, and backs them up.

See page 25 of the Retrospect 6 User's Guide for a discussion of the difference.

Scripted Backup (not Backup Server) is more for backing up servers and machines that are always attached. No network polling is done, no prioritization, it just runs the script at the indicated time.

I think that the current name for Backup Server stuff is "Proactive Backup". Can't understand why these names keep changing for no reason at all. Makes me confused.

Russ