CD RW support

pughjl

I'm trying out Retrospect comparing it to some other backup programs. I'm able to backup to save sets on disk and to files on local hard drives and across the network. I decided to try backing up to CD. My Yamaha 2100S is listed in the hardware compatability, but Retrospect says it can't use it because I don't have a drive letter assigned yet.

Here's the infor XP reports on the drive:

Drive H:

Description CD-ROM Drive

Media Loaded No

Media Type CD-ROM

Name YAMAHA CRW2100S SCSI CdRom Device

Manufacturer (Standard CD-ROM drives)

Status OK

Transfer Rate Not Available

SCSI Target ID 1

PNP Device ID SCSI\CDROM&VEN_YAMAHA&PROD_CRW2100S&REV_1.0H\5&362B9666&0&010

Driver c:\winnt\system32\drivers\cdrom.sys (5.1.2600.0 (XPClient.010817-1148), 46.38 KB (47,488 bytes), 8/17/2001 2:52 PM)

I tried unstalling InCD (part of Nero). That didn't help.

The drive is the first an only device on my second SCSI controller. Here's more info from XP:

Name Adaptec AIC-7850 PCI SCSI Controller

Manufacturer Adaptec

Status OK

PNP Device ID PCI\VEN_9004&DEV_5078&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_01\4&11CD5334&0&58F0

I/O Port 0x0000D800-0x0000D8FF

Memory Address 0xFEAFF000-0xFEAFFFFF

IRQ Channel IRQ 23

Driver c:\winnt\system32\drivers\aic78xx.sys (v3.60a (Lab01_N.010510-0033), 55.63 KB (56,960 bytes), 8/25/2002 10:31 AM)

Name Advansys SCSI Host Adapter

Manufacturer Advansys

Status OK

PNP Device ID PCI\VEN_10CD&DEV_1300&SUBSYS_131010CD&REV_03\4&11CD5334&0&68F0

I/O Port 0x0000D400-0x0000D4FF

Memory Address 0xFEAFE800-0xFEAFE8FF

IRQ Channel IRQ 21

Driver c:\winnt\system32\drivers\asc.sys (2.9I-MS (XPClient.010817-1148), 25.88 KB (26,496 bytes), 8/25/2002 10:31 AM)

From the Knowledgebase:

Knowledgebasecolor=blue>

Retrospect for Windows reports "the drive can't be used because no drive letter is assigned" for a CD-R drive that has an assigned drive letter.

"Retrospect can not access your CD-RW because no Drive Letter is assigned"

1. First, check "My Computer" to ensure that the drive does have a drive letter assigned.

2. Ensure that you are logged in as Administrator.

3. Under Windows NT, XP or 2000, if the ATAPI miniport driver is disabled Retrospect will not see the ATAPI bus. You must enable the miniport driver by editing the registry key at the path:

\\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Aspi32\Parameters

Set the ExcludeMiniports value data to empty so Retrospect sees all buses.

4. Ensure that ASPI, the utility that Retrospect uses to communicate with devices, is installed correctly. Run ASPICHK (in the Retrospect Program Files folder) to make sure ASPI is "green" and all components are at version 4.60. If not, try a reinstall (ASPIINST.exe).

5. If this is Windows 2000, NT or XP, enable NT SCSI Passthrough to bypass ASPI:

From the Retrospect Directory hit Ctrl-Alt-P-P. Under "Execution," check "Enable NT SCSI Passthrough." Click OK. Quit and relaunch.

6. Upgrade to the latest Service Pack.

7. Make sure that the device is set to be "master" on its IDE channel, not "slave" or "cable select". Many CD writers do not function well if they are not configured as the master device.

8. Try *temporarily* uninstalling any other CD-writing utilities, in case extraneous drivers are conflicting with Retrospect.

I tried all the other steps. Nero updated some of the ASPI dll's to 4.7. I ran ASPI install and set them all back to 4.6--it didn't help.

I don't know what step 5 is. I use ctrl-alt-p-p in the retrospect program directory and nothing happens. I'm running the home edition of Windows XP.

5. If this is Windows 2000, NT or XP, enable NT SCSI Passthrough to bypass ASPI:

From the Retrospect Directory hit Ctrl-Alt-P-P. Under "Execution," check "Enable NT SCSI Passthrough." Click OK. Quit and relaunch.

• 1 month later...

AmyC, this is good info., it helped me get my unrecognized CD-RW going in XP, after the configuration routine had previously failed. However, the ctrl-alt-P-P does nothing. The only window I have open is the Retrospect folder (the one with the program exe file, aspichk, etc.) What does ctrl-alt-P-P do? Any other guesses why it does nothing for me?

The reason I'm asking is that I have a HP Colorado 14 GBe external (on parallel) that worked fine in Win2kPro with Retrospect Server 5.15. My clean install of XP Pro shows me the tape drive no problem and its recognized by the Microsoft Backup, it just doesn't showup in Retrospect Pro 6. Now that I've installed the Aspi32 (which fixed my CD-RW problem), I was hoping that I could restore the Device Environment back to the NT bypass from what is now in "ASPI" mode, so maybe R-6 might see my tape drive? I thought the ctrl-alt-p-p thing would do that for me.

Any suggestions?

Never mind the ctrl-alt-p-p, I found it. You have to do it in the program at the status window. The term "Directory", even if its a Dantz term for the window, is misleading. Kind of stupid on my part, but I was thinking "Windows" directory...

However, turning on SCSI bypass did not solve my problem. It looks like R6 is finding my device, but it displays just a row of little boxes (like an unrecognizable name) where the name should be. As I said before, this tape drive is fine in W2k. It's gotta be an XP/R6 thing...

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Archived