Problem with backing up network share

Carillon

I have a network share that is added to Retrospect via it's IP address/share name. When a scheduled backup starts it begins by scanning the share but never finishes scanning. It just continues scanning for hours and hours. To make matters worse I try to cancel the backup and it won't cancel. Prior to me installing the latest updates this share backed up just fine. How can I begin to troubleshoot this issue? Thanks

Edited by Guest

What is the filesystem format of the share?

What volume size is the share?

How is the share presented over the network to the Retrospect engine?

What version of Retrospect (x.x.x.x, for console and engine) do you have?

What version of Mac OS X do you have for the machine running Retrospect engine? (10.x.x)

What architecture (Intel, PPC) is the machine running Retrospect engine?

Anything in the crash logs for the Retrospect engine machine?

russ

What is the filesystem format of the share? [color:red]UNIX[/color]

What volume size is the share? [color:red]In total around 650GB[/color]

How is the share presented over the network to the Retrospect engine? [color:red]By adding it as a share in the Sources.[/color]

What version of Retrospect (x.x.x.x, for console and engine) do you have? [color:red]Console 8.1 build 622 Engine is the latest downoaded from the site. Not sure how to get the version number.[/color]

What version of Mac OS X do you have for the machine running Retrospect engine? (10.x.x) [color:red]10.5.8[/color]

What architecture (Intel, PPC) is the machine running Retrospect engine? [color:red]Intel[/color]

Anything in the crash logs for the Retrospect engine machine? [color:red]I checked the Console and looked for any Retrospect crash logs and didn't find any.[/color]

Results of mount command:

/dev/disk3s2 on /Volumes/AdMan Backup (hfs, local, nodev, nosuid, journaled, noowners)

/dev/disk1s2 on /Volumes/ARD Install (hfs, local, nodev, nosuid, journaled, noowners)

/dev/disk3s3 on /Volumes/KNS Backup 1 (hfs, local, nodev, nosuid, journaled, noowners)

/dev/disk2s3 on /Volumes/KNS Backup 2 (hfs, local, nodev, nosuid, journaled, noowners)

/dev/disk1s5 on /Volumes/Extra Storage (hfs, local, nodev, nosuid, journaled, noowners)

afp_2nCgQO00000000EHU4000000-4.2d000005 on /Volumes/addata (afpfs)

If I mount it using "Connect to Server" I get the icon on the desktop and the following:

"mount":

afp_2nCgQO00000000EHU4000000-5.2d000005 on /Volumes/addata (afpfs, nodev, nosuid, mounted by 105437)

"mdls /Volumes/*":

kMDItemFSContentChangeDate = 2009-10-14 17:48:57 -0400

kMDItemFSCreationDate = 1970-01-01 05:54:00 -0500

kMDItemFSCreatorCode = ""

kMDItemFSFinderFlags = 1280

kMDItemFSHasCustomIcon = 1

kMDItemFSInvisible = 0

kMDItemFSIsExtensionHidden = 0

kMDItemFSIsStationery = 0

kMDItemFSLabel = 0

kMDItemFSName = "addata"

kMDItemFSNodeCount = 35

kMDItemFSOwnerGroupID = 2026230421

kMDItemFSOwnerUserID = 1981776469

kMDItemFSSize = (null)

kMDItemFSTypeCode = ""

Then I un-mount the share and launch Retrospect and add it as a Share under Sources. The share now shows up as a Source but there is no icon on the desktop and get the following:

"mount":

afp_2nCgQO00000000EHU4000000-4.2d000006 on /Volumes/addata (afpfs)

"mdls /Volumes/*"

mdls: could not find /Volumes/addata

So it appears Retrospect is mounting the share in a different way in that there is no icon on the desktop.

Edited by Guest

When I Get Info I don't see a Filesystem Type listed. Here's what I get:

Kind: Volume

Server: afp://10.x.x.x/addata

Created: January 1, 1970 5:54 AM

Modified: Wednesday, October 14, 2009 5:48 PM

Format: AppleShare

Capacity: 667.14 GB

Available: 363.4 GB

Used: 303.75 GB on disk (326,144,081,920 bytes)

This share is being served from a Unix box. The Appletalk is handled by Xinet on the Unix box. What's interesting is that the previous version of Retrospect was able to add and backup this share.

Another thing I don't understand is why Retrospect doesn't mount the icon on the desktop when you add the share to the sources. If there was a way in Retrospect for it to recognize mounted shares that were mounted outside of Retrospect then I could try backing it up that way and see if it runs.

Ok. That's the information I have been trying to get from the outset. Boy, that was difficult.

Concisely, then, the bug seems to be:

Retrospect 8.1.622 (console and engine) running on Intel Mac OS 10.5.8 cannot back up an AFP share served from a Unix box running Xinet.

The AFP share can be added to Retrospect as a source by IP (afp://10.x.x.x/addata), and can be browsed and a favorite folder defined, but backup does not complete, regardless of whether the entire share is marked as a source or whether just the favorite folder is marked as a source. Scanning begins but appears to hang the scanning, no files are copied.

Retrospect 8.1.525 and 8.1.526 did not have this problem, and was able to scan and back up this share.

No crash logs are generated.

Correct?

I'd say it's time for Robin to assign a bug number for investigation.

Russ

This may also relate to your contemporaneous other posting here:

Retrospect creates alias in /Volumes

It might be useful for you to update that thread to indicate that the particular share is an AFP share being served by Xinet running on a Unix box, and to indicate whether you see that same behavior when Retrospect backs up a "real" AFP share served by an Apple server (or by another Apple non-server Mac), and whether the 8.1.525 Retrospect also had that issue.

Russ