Yet another Grooming Question

rdanamcd

I have a couple Server Volumes with 100s of Gigs of data that were temporary storage. I erased those volumes, partitioned, and renamed the drives.

My backup backed the temp data months ago. Besides doing a recycle how do I get that data out of my backup? Grooming I don't think will work because those volumes don't get backedup anymore and will never reach my "Groom to keep this number of backups 30".

What if I "Remove" the snapshots in the "Past Backups" will it then be groomed out next time around?

Thanks!

So I'm guessing when a Mac is removed from the network, their data will remain in the backup forever until a recycle? The snapshots will never increase so the grooming never kicks in.

Is this correct? Or is there a way to delete the snapshots so the grooming will remove the data out of the backup.

Thanks!

Dana

You can manually "remove" the "Past Backups" of a client in that situation and then run a groom.

I've done that without issue with 622.

Well...

Depending on the size/type of your media set, you may get a SPOD while you "remove" these while the catalog file updates, though. I've done this with really big media sets, removing a large number of Past Backups and it's literally taken *days* to do this.

So, beware of that. I've found it's better (if you can) to move the media set to a second computer if you want to do this then move it back after the groom.

But it depends on your situation. If it's one *recent* backup you want to remove, it goes faster. But if it's way down the list -- and there's a potential that the data exists on some other client backup in the set -- it'll take longer to manually remove the backup.

That's what I was worried about... if Retrospect was smart enough that if I manually removed an old Snapshot that it didn't remove any files that are associated with other snapshots. Sounds like it is.

I used a server to duplicate all my laptops to so for every recycle that server was the first to get backed up. Then the laptop backups went quickly. That was with Retro 6.x. I got rid of that for Retro 8.x thinking I'll never will do a recycle.

I'm in the process of copying recent backups to my new offsite 16TB Drobo (on week 2) so my data is pretty massive and the snapshots I'm talking about are pretty deep (back to April '09).

I'll play around with removing a past backup on another mac and see how painful that is.

I'm also toying with the idea of just doing a Recycle but will wait until my offsite backup is current. Will then have to use my offsite for incrementals until my regular backup finishes the recycle.

Decisions, decisions.

Thanks!

Dana

That's what I was worried about... if Retrospect was smart enough that if I manually removed an old Snapshot that it didn't remove any files that are associated with other snapshots. Sounds like it is.

That's the way grooming is supposed to operate in the absence of bugs. As you can imagine, grooming is complex, and it's not as if Retrospect 8, in its current immature state, is bug free.

I would suggest thorough testing before deployment.

Russ