Can't restore older backups

Hello all,

i'm using 8.1.622 and i'm trying to restore an old backup. This backup date doesn't shows up in the restore assistant window "select backup" so I have to click on the "More backups" button, choose the desired date and press the retrieve button. The windows closes but the main "select backup" windows doesn't shows the chosen backup. I'm quite puzzled, how I'm supposed to restore an old backup?

Cristiano

I too am trying to restore data from older backups. I've got data backed up on AIT tapes that I need to retrieve that was backed up with Retrospect 5 and 6. Retrospect 8 will not recognize the backup sets nor will it rebuild them from the tapes. I cannot go back to Retrospect 5 or 6 any longer because I am running OS 10.5.7.

I desperately need to be able to access those files. They are client projects that they expect to be able to refer at any time.

I find it inconceivable that the designers of Retrospect 8 would write this version with absolutely no backwards compatibility. Could this be true?!?!?!?! What the...?

Have you reviewed the read me document?

Retrospect 8.1 cannot import configurations or read Backup Sets from versions 6.x or earlier. Clients will need to be added, and scripts will need to be scheduled anew with version 8.1. However, Retrospect 8.1 does not overwrite/remove Retrospect 6.x or earlier editions during the installation process, so users who need to count on restores from legacy Backup Sets can simply maintain their previous installation of Retrospect. Users who choose to do so should ensure that the previous version’s schedules are disabled, so that two versions of Retrospect are not trying to back up the same computers or control the same device simultaneously.

Well, there you have it. In that case, tell me why Retrospect 6.1.230 hangs in the middle of backing up or restoring. It will get about 1G into it and just stop. The gears stop turning, the tape drive stops responding, and it will stay this way for days. Many times, I can't even get Retropsect to see the tape drive.

The drive is a Sony SDX520c. All of this started when I switched from a G4 to an Intel Mac Pro. The drive is fine. I've tried it on a G5 and a G4 belonging to friends and it works great. Seems to be a MacPro/Retrospect 6 issue. I had hoped that Retropsect 8 would solve this, not realizing that there would be no backwards compatibilty.

I read the "read me" that recommends turning the drive on a few seconds prior to booting the computer, but that made no difference.

meangus,

Rather than hijacking this thread that has nothing to do with your Retrospect 6 question, why don't you respond to some of the information requests I made to you over four months ago in your earlier thread in the Retrospect 6.x forum?

meangus thread on same problem, four months ago

It truly sounds like you have a hardware problem, not a Retrospect problem. If Retrospect can't see the drive, there is no hope.

Russ

Ok. It's not possible to groom tape media sets.

Ok, I didn't groom the tape, and actually rebuilding the catalog seems to work. But then I can't restore nothing from the tape, or even browse the files, it'says : "bakcup not available"

Perhaps something is happening in the grooming, perhaps with odd options.

No fancy options, I just have a 32 backups retention policy

Have you tried to rebuild the catalog for a disk media set that hasn't been groomed?

yes, have tried it, and the result is a media set w/o members and zero files in it. Actually since it takes just a couple of seconds, it seems to me, that it's not even trying to rebuild it.

Could it be file system permission issues on the catalogs/media sets files?

C.

I'm wondering if the confusing undocumented GUI isn't causing the problem, perhaps if something at the wrong level is being selected for the restore or for the grooming.

Could you explain what you are doing for the restore? (what is being selected, etc.) Perhaps a screen shot would be the easiest way.

Ok. Perhaps you are being hit by an unexpected bug. Some of those numbers are a bit big (on the order of 4 TB). How big is the volume on which the media set is stored?

The volume is about 3 TB

What is the format of the volume on which the media set is stored? What type of a share device?

Russ

It's a HFS+ Journaled Volume, mounted via iScsi

Just before i did start the grooming, My retrospect installation had another issue. The configuration got corrupted an retrospect engine wasn't able to start. To solve the problem I did a recover of the retrospect configuration form some days before from the time machine.

Cristiano

The volume is about 3 TB

Ok, then that's not the problem, which is triggered if the volume size is >= 8 TB.

It's a HFS+ Journaled Volume, mounted via iScsi

Aren't there some issues with iSCSI ? I wasn't aware that it is fully supported by MacOS 10.5.x, which you indicate that you are running.

I feel your pain.

Russ

Aren't there some issues with iSCSI ? I wasn't aware that it is fully supported by MacOS 10.5.x, which you indicate that you are running.

I could try to switch to another sw initiator, but I don't think it's related to iScsi as I also have the same problem on a tapeset I am trying to restore. Both the catalog of the tapeset and the destination volume are on a sw raid inside the macpro. Btw it's 10.6.x

I feel your pain.

Russ

:) I think in the worst case I just have to drop my configuration and start from beginning...

As a note: backups on the media-sets are still running fine, it does matching an just writes the new files, so retrospect has still notion of what it's in the catalog.

Tomorrow I will try to copy the media-set to another mac, install retrospect there and try a rebuild of the catalog. Let's see what happens

Thank you Russell I'm appreciating your help!

Christiano:

We have encountered the same problem (backups disappearing/becoming unavailable) trying to archive data onto LTO-3 tapes. Fortunately we are still on the testing stage, so no data was lost.

Just wanted to clarify - do you use multiple media sets and if so, did it happen to only one of them?

Would be great to find out whether the glitch happens on the media set level (so the way around it would be to create a backup copy of the media set straight after a successful backup) or on the catalog level (again, to create a copy of the catalog and hope that one of them won't go wrong).

The bug is clearly there. And it's a critical one as it completely defeats the purpose of the software.

Alexey