Cannot restore rdb files

willbaker13

I backed up my computer (all files) to my external hard drive using Retrospect 7.6 for windows. I then installed windows 7 on my computer and downloaded Retrospect again so I could restore. When I try and restore the files it does not see them in the wizard. If I open up the external hard drive I see all the rdb files but it appears that the restore function is looking for files with a different extension. Any help would be appreciated as this is my only backup.

Thanks,

Robin,

I have tried to view the videos both at work (ISDN line) and home (DSL line) and everytime I try to access I receive an error that the Retrospect server had an unexpected error. Can you please document the steps so that I can restore the programs/files to my new windows system? Or would it be easier if I called and spoke with someone as I have only had this product for 4 days and am assuming that I would not be charged for support. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Solution I received from Retrospect support and it works:

"In order to access any previous backup after a drive failure or reformat or drive replacement or version upgrade, you must perform a task called a "catalog rebuild". The catalog file is the table of contents of all your backed up files, without it you will have no access to any backup data on your external drive.

Retrospect can recreate this file by using the catalog repair tool found in the Tools menu.

You select "catalog repair" and then choose the option "recreate from disks" since your backups are on an external drive, you then let it search "all drives" and it will present you a window showing valid backup sets you can recreate catalogs for, select the one you wish to restore from.

Follow the steps until the process is completed (this can take a while to do) after which you can now access the restore operations for those files.

Our website has both text tutorials and video tutorials detailing the steps.

Here is one of a couple tutorials.

http://kb.dantz.com/article.asp?article=8350&p=2

"