Exchange Full Backup Errors

I have a 2003 SBS server running Retrospect 7.6.123 with Exchange backups licensed. I get a successful backup of the 36 individual Exchange mailboxes on each full backup of my server. However, I get the following two errors, neither of which I can find any information about on Retrospect's KB or via web searches. The errors are below and after these errors are logged, the backup keeps going and successfully backs up the 36 mailboxes in the "First Storage Group". Any guidance would be most appreciated.

Copying First Storage Group

Backup type: Full

HrESEBackupOpenFile(0c80004b3) -- The database is not mounted or does not exist

File "First Storage Group\Public Folder Store

(SERVERNAME)": can't read, error -3619 (Database not found)

HrESEBackupReadFile -- Error returned from an ESE function call (-1,018).

MapError: unknown Windows error -1,018

TWDBExchangeServer2000Base::BackupRead: HrESEBackupReadFile failed, winerr -1018, error -1004

I'm not sure I know what you mean by "what authentication methods do we use". We have Retrospect for SBS installed directly on the SBS server that hosts AD and Exchange, so it's not going over a client. Can you be more specific or point me to where I can identify what authentication methods we use? Thanks for replying and sorry I'm unable to answer your inquiry directly!

I'm not sure this is a retrospect issue. Are you having any other issues with your exchange server? Check the windows application log for some errors.

What version of exchange are you running?

Check to make sure your mailbox store is not past the 16GB point because it will automatically attempt to unmount itself. See below:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=828070

Good suggestion to check the Application logs. There were 9792 errors there for “MSExchangeIS Mailbox†background cleanup error that reads: “Cleanup of the DeliveredTo table for database 'First Storage Group\Mailbox Store (SERVER)' failed with error -1017. 0 entries were purged before the failure was encountered.â€

Turns out we need to schedule time to take the database offline, then run these 3 commands to repair and defrag the database, which likely will get rid of these errors that Retrospect is posting in it's logs.

Eseutil /P priv1.edb

Eseutil /D priv1.stm

Isinteg -s server -fix -test alltests

If I don't reply back in a few days, then this is what fixed the issue.

OK, I still have the same error message with Retrospect backing up my Exchange 2003 server: "HrESEBackupOpenFile(0c80004b3) -- The database is not mounted or does not exist."

After this error, there appears to be a full and successful backup.

Last night I unmounted the server and ran eseutil /P and /D and isinteg as you suggested Sburk, which found errors and fixed them, and now Exchange errors are resolved and not showing up in the Event logs. However, when I performed a full backup of Exchange and all mailboxes, I got this error in the Retrospect logs:

HrESEBackupOpenFile(0c80004b3) -- The database is not mounted or does not exist.

File "First Storage Group\Public Folder Store (LEDGER)": can't read, error -3619 (Database not found)

HrESEBackupReadFile --

Error returned from an ESE function call (-1,018).

MapError: unknown Windows error -1,018

TWDBExchangeServer2000Base::BackupRead: HrESEBackupReadFile failed, winerr -1018, error -1004

File "First Storage Group\zzz LOG": can't read, error -1004 (Database Backup/Restore error)

Any other suggestions?

First, download from Microsoft Exchange Best Practices Analyzer for the exchange version you have. This will help confirm your exchange install doesn't have any major problems. I am thinking along the lines of your AD domain Microsoft exchange Security Groups or services/Microsoft Exchange/CN=domain.biz may be missing something. If the analyzer finds nothing, I have other ideas.

That is very strange indeed. I'm assuming you checked to make sure the database was remounted properly?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314217

I think you must be running exchange 2000? Perhaps an upgrade to exchange 2003 or even 2007(64 bit only) may be in order? I know that's not exactly what you wanted to hear but I think it'd be worth it.

As for retrospect issues, I have no idea what to tell ya! Let me know how you get it resolved for my reference! GL