fotmasta

How to Test Rules?

Back in v6, I could edit a Selector/Rule and then setup an immediate backup and preview a complete nested view of all the folders and files. It was a fast and easy visual way to see the real world results of rules. (without having to run an actual backup)

It's a necessity now as I'm having to rewrite all of these in v8.

None of the rules are previewing. For example I have a rule to include a folder named Movies in a rule named "Important". When I setup the backup and hit the Preview button. Nothing is selected. Not the movies folder in my home or any other movies folder.

You can do a preview just before starting the backup, that will apply the rule

Can a scheduled backup be previewed? I don't see any preview button on the menu bar, or elsewhere(?) for a scripted backup preview.

A workaround would be to set up a new backup and preview the selected rule+manual backup.

Hint: the preview takes a long time to build the tree in the backup assistant window... And drill down, to find the unchecked files filtered in the Rule.

Edited by Guest

It doesn't work quite as well as in v6. Here's why-

One reason I test rules is to see how much space the backup will require. In v6 you could test a rule, select and deselect items and see the total storage requirements change immediately.

In short, I would request that the Preview pane show a running size total.

If you use the Backup wizard -- it's at the "Backup Summary" page -- where you would click "Start Now".

On the line showing the source(s)