Exchange backup/restore error 1004

Hello,

For quite some time, I've been getting the error below. I've substituted the backup set name for privacy purposes. How in the world do I get it fixed? The server in question, the First Storage Group, Second Storage Group, all related to Exchange. I've noticed the 1004 error has caused Retrospect to crash occasionally. The errors are below. I found some articles but they all seem to speak of SQL. We use another product for compressing and backing up SQL, we do write SQL data to tape via retrospect. Check out the errors below.

+ Normal backup using Test1 Exchange at 10/19/2009 6:39 AM (Execution unit 2)

To Backup Set Test1...

- 10/19/2009 6:39:48 AM: Copying First Storage Group on testad02

Backup type: Full

T-8: >>>HrESEBackupSetup(050d) --

T-8: MapError: unknown Windows error 1,293

Trouble reading files, error -1004 (Database Backup/Restore error)

10/19/2009 6:40:29 AM: Execution incomplete

Remaining: 2 files, 23.7 GB

Completed: 0 files, zero KB, with 0% compression

Performance: 0.0 MB/minute

Duration: 00:00:41 (00:00:12 idle/loading/preparing)

+ Normal backup using Test1 Exchange at 10/19/2009 5:47 AM (Execution unit 2)

To Backup Set Test1...

- 10/19/2009 5:47:25 AM: Copying First Storage Group on testad02

10/19/2009 5:48:19 AM: Execution incomplete

Duration: 00:00:54 (00:00:20 idle/loading/preparing)

+ Normal backup using Test1 Exchange at 10/19/2009 5:08 AM (Execution unit 2)

To Backup Set Test1...

- 10/19/2009 5:08:34 AM: Copying First Storage Group on testad02

10/19/2009 5:09:23 AM: Execution incomplete

Duration: 00:00:49 (00:00:18 idle/loading/preparing)

Thanks,

Nick

Nick,

How can you expect anyone to try to help? You have not provided any information about the version of Retrospect (x.x.x) that you are using. You have not provided any information about your hardware specifics or OS version.

It's just not possible for anyone to read your mind. Might be that tinfoil hat...

Russ

How can I tell if I have it? Under volumes I see "Exchange mailboxes and the first and second storage unit groups. Looking in licensing manager, we have the "Exchange Backup Add-on being used or installed. Only one I see, this is listed right under Exchange Database/Mailbox backup. (we use Exchange 2007)

Cheers,

Nick

Mayoff,

Thanks for the response. The server that runs Retrospect server and services the clients, it is on a Windows 2003 Enterprise 64-bit platform, and not joined to any domain.

On the server which we nicknamed Terastorus that acts as the retrospect server, it connects via domain authentication to the client, in this instance the client is an Exchange server. When I go into volumes, the login info: it's set to domain authentication and username is xbackupsvc and there's a password configured. for domain it has xdomainnet.com (hiding the identity for privacy purposes) This xbackupsvc account is a domain account in Active Directory on the Exchange server. What groups is the account a member of? Backup Operators, Domain Admins, Domain Users, Enterprise Admins, & Exchange Organizational Administrators.

Cheers,

Nick

The first storage group always generates the 1004 error, the Second storage group DOES NOT. Also, individual mailboxes back up fine, mainly just the first storage database that is an issue. Looking on the exchange server event logs, I do see some errors in it's application logs saying a process already started with first storage group. There a conflict or something I wonder? One of the links that someone provided earlier, should I dismount the mailbox database on the exchange server and remount it? Or reboot the exchange server?