Retrieving files from back up "please select the backup set member"

ntaylor2

I had a computer crash and am trying to access files on my Maxtor OneTouch4 hard drive using my laptop.

After searching through the forum posts I downloaded a trial of Retro Express 7.6 and it can obviously see the files I want to access and I get to the point where it asks me to "select the backup set member". I click around trying to figure out what it's looking for but can't get past that.

Other posts mentioned something about restoring the catalog but I'm not sure what that's doing when I'm going through the steps. I don't want to damage my chances of recovering my data. I've ordered a new computer where the full restore of my data files will need to take place but in the mean time I need to get to some critical files.

What am I doing wrong?

• 1 month later...

I am having the same problem with Retrospect 7.6. When I try to recreate the catalog it says "selected disk does not contain any backup sets" It appears that Retrospect is looking for .rbf and .rbc files. When I look at the backup files with Windows Explorer they are .rdb files. All the backup sets are there when viewed with Explorer but Retrospect can't see them for some reason. Has anyone been able to resolve this? My laptop drive crashed and it had the catalog file on it. I installed a new drive and am trying to restore files from Retrospect Backup.

Mark, it is very confusing. I ended up having to use a different computer and the steps to rebuild the catalog are so complex, I can't even remember how I got there. For the most part I followed the directions in the link listed above. The new computer had Vista 64bit.

You may have to call them to get help. They could have made it more intuitive. I guess they just don't expect that people need to recover their backups on a computer different than the one that made them. I'm no longer using their software as I never want to go through that again.

Good luck with your recovery.