"can't add that much data..."

OS 10.4.11; Retrospect 6.1.126 - I have used Retrospect without issue for years to back up to an ex hd. Now have installed it on new computer, trying to create backup onto different ex hd. The process of creating new bkup set seems to go fine, until I begin the actual backup process: then an "Execution Incomplete...see log" window appears. When I check the log, it says, "Can't add that much data to backup set. The limit is 2.0 gb."

The ex hd has 217 gb free, so I don't think it's a space issue. But what is the move limit it's referring to? I've always used it to back up to an ex hd, with no problems before. This hd has been used for large backups before, using different software. TIA for any help.

(1) what is the format of that external HD? Perhaps a windows format that has a limited file size? Compare this HD format with the older HD format.

(2) what type of backup set have you specified? (file or disk) Compare with backup set type of older backup set.

I would bet it's issue (1). Reformat the drive with Disk Utility to HFS+ (probably want journaled, too).

OS 10.4.11; Retrospect 6.1.126

Note also that your copy of Retrospect is a bit out of date, and you don't say what Retrospect Driver Update ("RDU") version you have. Free updates to both are here:

Retrospect 6.1 updates

Russ

Edited by Guest
Retrospect 6.1 updates

](1) what is the format of that external HD?

Ah, totally right...it's formatted as MS-DOS File System FAT32.

Can I reformat the drive without erasing the contents?? (This drive is the only location for some files that are currently the only existing copies after a crash, so cannot risk them.)

Or: Is there a way to remove or change the transfer limit on the drive?

(2) what type of backup set have you specified? (file or disk)

File.

Ah, totally right...it's formatted as MS-DOS File System FAT32.

Can I reformat the drive without erasing the contents?? (This drive is the only location for some files that are currently the only existing copies after a crash, so cannot risk them.)

No. Copy the files off to a spare drive, or burn them to a CD / DVD. Formatting will destroy everything.

If you burn to a CD / DVD, make a couple of copies and test that they are readable before you blow everything away.

Yes. Reformatting to HFS+, which will destroy all data on the drive.

Russ

Ah' date=' totally right...it's formatted as MS-DOS File System FAT32.

Can I reformat the drive without erasing the contents?? (This drive is the only location for some files that are currently the only existing copies after a crash, so cannot risk them.)[/quote']

No. Copy the files off to a spare drive, or burn them to a CD / DVD. Formatting will destroy everything.

As I thought. I think it's time fort a new drive dedicated to Retrospect.

If you burn to a CD / DVD, make a couple of copies and test that they are readable before you blow everything away.

Yes. Reformatting to HFS+, which will destroy all data on the drive.

:) Ok, admittedly not well-phrased. Meant "...another way..." Just feebly hoping for a miracle escape plan.

Thanks, Russ -

• 1 month later...

Hi. I get the same error. My system is a bit dated, but it should work none the less (OS X server 10.4.11 running on PowerPC G4 with Retrospect 5.0.238.)

All the disks, both those backed up and the disk that the backup set file is stored on, are Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

There is plenty of space on all.

This disk that holds the backup set file checks OK in disk utility and read/write rights are OK.

Any suggestions on what to try?

How much total data is there in your backup set? Retrospect 5.x had a limit of 1 TB for any backup set.

I believe Retrospect 5.0 had a limit of 2 GB when backing up Windows clients, but your post suggests you are backing up only Macs.

Retrospect 5.0 is pretty ancient, as Russ's answer implies. It was designed to run on OS 9.x or 10.1.x and may well not be happy under Tiger.

Edited by Guest
Correct a typo.

• 3 weeks later...

Similar situation, none of the suggestions for the cause apply. I have a 1TB external USB drive, HFS+ Journaled, running OSX 10.4.11 with Retrospect 6.1.222. I backup three machines. The backup files are currently 367G, 271G, and 169G.

The backup worked 12/29/2009, and then, for some reason, automatic scheduling stopped working. When I run manually now, I get the error on all three systems.

Oddly, all three say that nothing was copied at all. The remaining amount is 11.2G, 10.5G, and 73.2M. The last of these was clearly not over the 2G limit.

Any other suggestions? Could my catalogs be messed up? I find it difficult to believe that I really have 11.2G and 10.5G to backup on two of my machines....

It's highly unlikely that 3 catalogs would be corrupted simultaneously. Much more likely is that the configuration file Retro.Config (located at/Library/Preferences/Retrospect) has become corrupted.

With Retrospect not running, drag this file to the desktop (for safekeeping) and then launch Retrospect, which will force creation of a clean default configuration. You'll need to re-enter your license code, and all your scripts and lists will be gone.

Try a test backup and see if the problem has gone away. If it has, install a good backup copy of Retro.Config (if you have one); otherwise, you'll need to recreate everything manually.

Replacing Retro.Config may also fix the failure to autolaunch or to autorun your scripts. If it doesn't, trash the file "retrorunfile," also located at /Library/Preferences/Retrospect. Launch Retrospect and then immediately quit, which will force creation of a new copy of retrorunfile.

• 2 weeks later...

Rebuilding the catalog didn't fix the problem. Wiping out the preferences didn't work, either.

I guessed that the backup files got corrupted somehow, removed the storage set, and created another. 58.6G are completed now with another 2.3G to go. I still can't explain, but it looks like I've got a path to get backups back on track.

Thanks for the hint on retrorunfile. This has been a problem on and off for months. I'll give that a shot when I've got the backups fixed.