Windows - Delayed Write Failed

scottmonaghan

Recently I have been receiving the following pop-up message after my daily Retrospect HD 2.5 backup is done. This message appears right after I have closed Retrospect HD and then turned off the attached external drive.

"Windows - Delayed Write Failed

Windows was unable to save all the data for the F:\$Mft. The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save this file elsewhere."

Does anyone have any experience with or knowledge about this error message? I have just recently begun getting it. Some days I do not get this message.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Which disk do you think might be dying - the computer hard drive or the external hard drive?

Um, well, the error message told which drive had the problem, and you provided the reason:

"Windows - Delayed Write Failed

Windows was unable to save all the data [color:red]for the F:\$Mft[/color]. The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection.

This message appears right after I have closed Retrospect HD [color:red]and then turned off the attached external drive.[/color]

In the metaphysical sense, the "failure" was that you turned off the attached external drive ("F:") while the OS was still trying to write to it, perhaps to update some metadata (modified dates, access dates, filesystem structure updates, etc.) before the drive's and the OS's caches were fully flushed, who knows.

Operating systems don't like for their drives to disappear during write operations.

If you had unmounted the drive before turning it off, I doubt that the "failure" would have occurred.

Russ