867DP + 9.2.2 + 4.3client = hang at startup

We just got four of the new 867DP (mirror bays). With 4.3 client, running in stock 9.2.2 config, they hang on startup (at the Retrospect icon). Disabling Retrospect allows them to boot.

!!!

Anything I can do? From what I understand, the patches for 4.3 are for the main/server program, not for the clients (remotes)...

David

Same hang occurs with extension set made up of 9.2.2 Base + Retrospect client 4.3 only. (Tested on two separate machines.)

I guess this is because the 9.2.2 which ships with the new machines is different from the standard 9.2.2.

Hope you guys can fix this soon, I can't really deploy them without backup.

David

The same hang at startup occurs whether the extension is called "°Retrospect Client", " Retrospect Client" (with a space in front), or "Dantz Retrospect Client".

NB this does not occur on the new eMac we have, also running 9.2.2.

> The shipping version of OS 9.2.2 is no different then the upgrades available online.

I'm not sure if this is correct. My standard 9.2.2 Emergency Startup Disk will not boot the MirrorDoor. Also, Alsoft has released a revision of their DiskWarrior CD to boot these Macs, which has changed System files (not DiskWarrior files). From http://www.alsoft.com/DiskWarrior/support.html#DualUSB :

> If you have version 2.1 of DiskWarrior, and you have purchased a new iMac (17" Flat Panel) or Power

> Mac G4 (Mirrored Drive Doors), you can order the updated DiskWarrior 2.1 CD directly from Alsoft.

> ... Please Note: The only thing that is changed on this CD is its ability to start up the Macs listed

> above. The DiskWarrior and PlusOptimizer files and applications on the CD remain unchanged.

We have a brand new Dual 1GHZ booting up in 9.2.2 and it too now hangs. I Installed the 4.3 client, then installed it in Retrospect 5.0.205. Then I updated the client to 5.0.198 and restarted the client wich hung at the client icon just like yours. I have now tried several combinations of installing the 5.0.198 client, unsinstalling it etc... Yet if the client control panel is enabled it hangs at boot. I uninstalled and reinstalled the 4.3 client and it too now hangs at boot. Boots fine if the Retrospect client is disabled. What's up folks. Nothing in the support area about this.

• 2 weeks later...

Glad to see this is already underway. Just adding my experience. Brand new machine G4 d866/512 yesterday. Configured OS X then booted into OS9 and configured. First installation of any program to shipped machine was client 4.3. Freeze as reported. Reinstalled 4.3, then downloaded and tried client 5.0 (shows 5.0.198). Same result.

Only problematic issue: had not given the computer a name under OS9 prior to first installation.

I might as well put my 2 cents in as well.

I am in the process of deploying 5 867DP, also running 9.2.2 with Retrospect 5. also hangs while loading....blah, blah, blah.

The reason why I'm posting a reply here is to voice my utter dissapointment with Dantz and how they are handling this situation. The last post from anyone from Dantz was on 9/6/02 and here it is now 9/24/02 and we have no clue if this problem is being worked on or if there is any solution to the problem in site. But day after day I check this fourm and their support site for a light at the end of the tunnel only to find none. Now I'm sure there are others out there like myself that have to answer to a higher being. So tell us, Dantz. What is being done about this?

[Thread moved to correct forum]

Dantz has reproduced this issue, and it is in the hands of our Development team. There are changes in the ROM file in the new dual-processors G4's that conflict with the Retrospect Client. We will continue to investigate this issue, which may be fixed in a future release. As information becomes available, it will be posted in the forum.

SEPUB wrote: "The reason why I'm posting a reply here is to voice my utter dissapointment with Dantz and how they are handling this situation."

Well I think the culprit here may be Apple. The Dantz client software has worked across a wide range of hardware and software. Suddenly we're loading up the same system on an established machine type, and software stops working.

I subsequently asked Apple techs about installing earlier versions of 9.2.2 on a separate partition and received advice that wasted my time - are they properly alert even now to the issue. When they released the new machines, did they realise the changes could have implications for software? Did they warn us? Did they alert developers like Dantz to the change? It seems not. Have I missed something?

Dantz would have felt that they had the OS9 field covered, and have focussed on OS X. Now they have to decide whether to divert resources back there. I certainly hope they do.

You have made some very valid points regarding Apple's role in all this, and perhaps I was a bit to harsh in my comments towards Dantz. But my main dissapointment with Dantz is not that they have a problem with their software on a (DP) Mac its the way they are handling it.

First a couple of people posted to this thread with their concerns and Dantz told us they knew of nothing wrong, after a couple of more posts, Dantz made a comment, basically stating, that their may be a problem and they are going to investagate it. 18 days later and AFTER I posted how I felt about the situation, Dantz finally posted this:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Thread moved to correct forum]

Dantz has reproduced this issue, and it is in the hands of our Development team. There are changes in the ROM file in the new dual-processors G4's that conflict with the Retrospect Client. We will continue to investigate this issue, which may be fixed in a future release. As information becomes available, it will be posted in the forum.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Their last reply to this thread was vague at best.

I see this 2 ways, 1) We are screwed until Dantz rolls out a new release (which we will most likely have to pay for). Even though it was us the end users that brought this matter to their attention. and 2) We should start looking for another backup application because retrospect MAY not be able to work on the new DP MACs and we MAY be waiting forever for a solution that MAY or MAY not ever happen.

In reply to:

First a couple of people posted to this thread with their concerns and Dantz told us they knew of nothing wrong, after a couple of more posts, Dantz made a comment, basically stating, that their may be a problem and they are going to investagate it.

You are correct - this is exactly what we did. Apple did not report hardware changes to us before these machines shipped, so we were unaware there were conflicts. Once reports started coming in, we investigated the issue and were able to reproduce it. Unfortunatetly, there is no fix at this time, and we don't have a time estimate as to when or if there will be one. We are actively investigating the issue, and hope to have resolution in a future release.

Finally a way through! 'misterfriendly' in a related thread gave the clue.

Install 4.3 client as AppleTalk. I have already set up a separate OS9 volume and docs volume (cuts out reading a hundred thousand files!), and just installed the client. It boots, it configures, it reads the selected volumes for backup. I haven't taken it further yet.

(this is 867DP + 9.2.2 AppleTalk client being backed up by 4.3). Appletalk may not suit everyone but it's better than nothing.

• 2 weeks later...

pfyte,

How does one configure a client for AppleTalk if that client won't boot with Retrospect active? In other words, I can't see the problem client from the server, wherein these changes are made, right?

-----------

Also, let me add my voice to the peeved list -- at Apple for not playing nice with third parties, but also at Dantz for the following reasons. We got our 867Dp on Sept 12, and when the freeze problem showed up I phoned Dantz tech support who held me in queue for well over a half hour, then refused to listen to me until I agreed to pay.

Finally a "supervisor" reluctantly put me through to tech support, where Nathan knew exactly what I was talking about, but said there's no fix.

I suggested they post a fairly obvious alert on the Dantz web site to prevent others from experiencing what I went through. Has it been done?

Nathan said I'd be contacted when the problem was solved. Guess it hasn't.

pete in toronto

We are sorry for any inconveniences. Please keep in mind that our Customer Service department is not a technical department and may not know all known issues with the software. Also, any paid technical incident, which turns out to be a bug in the software is refunded.

We are still working on this issue and it is a priority. Results will be posted in this forum when they become available.

While AppleTalk may be a workaround for some, this functionality is not available in the currently shipping product, version 5.0.

Amy,

Fair enough, but I dialed technical support directly, or so I thought, and not customer service.

And yes, I realized that 5.0 does not support AppleTalk just this morning when I tried (obviously unsuccessfully) to switch protocols.

Thanks.

Pete in Toronto

• 2 weeks later...

Try turning off the Filesharing control panel via Extensions Manager and restart.

We did some testing and we were able to reproduce the problem once. We disabled filesharing and we were then able to start up successfully. After turning file sharing back on, the problem did not reproduce. Please post results.

Hia

I have tried to install retrospect (client v5.. install from the web site)on the new DP mac's as well.

So far I was able to get the mac to boot if filesharing and appletalk were disabled. As soon as they were enabled, booting problems returned (again at same point with retrospect extension)

Presently I have removed all retrospect files and the Mac's are booting properly.

Technical info (if it helps troubleshooting)

One Mac DP 867

One Mac DP 1GHzeach with 1 gig RAM

MacOs - Z1 9.2.2

MacOS Rom 9.5.1

thanks in advance

"Try moving the Retrospect Client to the extensions folder. Remove the degree symbol and add an exclamation mark. Make an alias of the client and put it in control panels."

This fix worked for me using Retrospect Client 4.3 on DP-1GHz G4. Loads OK. Haven't checked that it is fully operational yet. I assume it will be.

I just wanted to add that I too have observed this issue, but on a Quicksilver single 800 MHz G4. However, the copy of 9.2.2 on it was the same as the version that ships with the MDD G4s (i.e. Rom file version 9.5.1, etc...)

The other thing I can add is that this issue did not arise until after the machine had been backed up for the first time. While preparing the machine for use I must have restarted it at least 2 dozen times with no issue. It wasnt until it had been used for a day, left for overnight network backup, backed up & shut down by Retrospect, and then booted up the next moring that it froze.

Unfortunately, AppleTalk is not supported on my network so switching protocols is not an option, but I will try renaming/moving the Retrospect control panel, and if that doesnt work I will revert to an older Rom file version.

Archived