"Content not recognized" message on a Retrospect formatted disk.

I was in the middle of the end of the day immediate backup when Retrospect asked for a new disk. It ejected the disk it was backing up to so I put in a new disk. Retrospect said it was naming the new disk then proceeded to write to it, It then stopped and asked for the previous disk. I put that in. It proceeded to write to it. It then asked for the newly named disk. I put that back in. It then said "Content not recognized" and kept asking for that disk. What happened? I'm using Retrospect v.6.1.230 on a Mac G5 Dual 2.7Ghz running Mac OS 10.4.11. I'm burning to DVD+RW 4x disks from an Apple factory Sony DVD RW DW-Q28A Revision KAS7 burner. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Retrospect asked...for the previous disk. I put that in. It proceeded to write to it.

I suspect that Retrospect was not writing to the older disc at that point, but was in the compare phase and so was only reading from the disc. When comparing, Retrospect will always begin with the earliest files in the backup session, which in this case would have been on the previous disc member.

It then asked for the newly named disk. I put that back in. It then said "Content not recognized" and kept asking for that disk.

Something is wrong with the header written on the new disc member. It may be due to an error in writing to the disc or a flaw in the disc itself. If you are indeed using the latest RDU (or at least one that's recent enough to include support for your drive, which would be 6.1.1.101 or later), I would try backing up to a new disc member. When Retrospect asks for the faulty disc, click on "Choices" and indicate that the member in question is "missing." (You can also tell Retrospect manually by going to Configure> Backup Sets> Members.) Then, insert a fresh disc from a reputable manufacturer and see if you have better luck.

If the problem recurs, you might try using a different brand of media. If that doesn't help, you may have a failing drive.

Well, looks like your drive is supported, so that's not the issue:

Retrospect supported devices - DW-Q28A

What Retrospect Driver Update ("RDU") are you running?

Russ

It's been a while (about a year) since I used the Retrospect 7.5 that I installed on this machine. When I opened the program, it automatically updated, so I'm guessing I have the latest driver . . . I'm not sure how to confirm that . . . Could you tell me how?

Retrospect asked...for the previous disk. I put that in. It proceeded to write to it.

I suspect that Retrospect was not writing to the older disc at that point' date=' but was in the compare phase and so was only reading from the disc. When comparing, Retrospect will always begin with the earliest files in the backup session, which in this case would have been on the previous disc member.

It then asked for the newly named disk. I put that back in. It then said "Content not recognized" and kept asking for that disk.

Something is wrong with the header written on the new disc member. It may be due to an error in writing to the disc or a flaw in the disc itself. If you are indeed using the latest RDU (or at least one that's recent enough to include support for your drive, which would be 6.1.1.101 or later), I would try backing up to a new disc member. When Retrospect asks for the faulty disc, click on "Choices" and indicate that the member in question is "missing." (You can also tell Retrospect manually by going to Configure> Backup Sets> Members.) Then, insert a fresh disc from a reputable manufacturer and see if you have better luck.

If the problem recurs, you might try using a different brand of media. If that doesn't help, you may have a failing drive.

Hi, Twickland;

Thanks for your response . . . This was the first backup of the hard drive, onto a brand new set of DVD+RW's (Memorex). It was in the process of doing the first writing to the DVD's, and hadn't proceeded to compare yet . . . I'm running Retrospect version 7.5.508 with driver update and Hot Fix Version 7.5.14.102 . . . Any further assistance is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Well' date=' looks like your drive is supported, so that's not the issue:

Retrospect supported devices - DW-Q28A

What Retrospect Driver Update ("RDU") are you running?

Russ

It's been a while (about a year) since I used the Retrospect 7.5 that I installed on this machine. When I opened the program, it automatically updated, so I'm guessing I have the latest driver . . . I'm not sure how to confirm that . . . Could you tell me how?

Thanks, Russ, but I just found it . . . Thanks for your help . . .I've put more details in my response to another poster, just previous . . .

Linda L, I may be getting old, but your thread hijack has made this thread very confusing to me (and perhaps to others).

The original post was by "Sir Speedy", who indicated he was running Retrospect for Macintosh version 6.1.230 on his Macintosh computer, and my response (and twickland's response upthread) was addressing that issue.

Contrary to the original poster's problem, you seem to have a completely different issue, and you say that you are running Retrospect for Windows version "7.5.508 with driver update and Hot Fix Version 7.5.14.102". Retrospect for Macintosh 6.1.x does not run on the Windows platform and never will, and Retrospect for Macintosh 6.1.x (and its predecessors) does not have a "hot fix update". The update process is completely different for Retrospect for Macintosh 6.1.x and its predecessors.

Any information we provided to the original poster is totally inapplicable to your problem and any information that we might give you would be totally inapplicable to the original poster's problem.

This is the Retrospect for Macintosh forum, for Retrospect Mac version 6.1.x. I suggest that you start a new thread in one of the appropriate Retrospect for Windows forums, which would be here:

Retrospect for Windows forums

Russ

Thanks Russ for straightening out that last set of posts since you last asked for the RDU. The RDU is 6.1.15.101. Twickland gave some responses that I've suspected as possible reasons for my problem. (Thank you twickland for your input) However on last nights' backup I received the following error message. "Device Trouble 49-Daily Backup, error 105 (unexpected end of data). It then asked for a new disk, which I put in. I selected the new media and pressed proceed. After an "erase" it then named the new disk 50 proceeded to write to it (though I didn't see any data selected). When it said execution completed successfully I closed the program. The disk did not eject as normal and I had to forcibly remove the disk. Does this make any sense? :confused:

No, it doesn't make sense. Your explanation is complete, and I understand that, but it doesn't make sense that you got unexpected end of data or that you had to forcibly eject the disk.

I only use tape, not CD, so I'm not an expert on CDs, but the concept is similar to tape.

I would suggest the following to ensure that you have a good backup set:

(1) find the backup set catalog, copy it away onto your Desktop or somewhere that Retrospect can't find it. That way, if things go badly, you can always revert to that old catalog.

(2) Rebuild (not update) the catalog from scratch, starting with the first disk of the set, putting each into the drive when requested.

Sorry you've got so many disks. Candidly, 50 members of a media set is quite large, and I'd consider starting a new one. If one disk goes, that's it, and valuable data, if on that disk, would be lost.

One other thing to check because you are using a supported drive and a current RDU - perhaps did you "custom configure" your drive / media? If you have a supported drive and an up-to-date RDU, the supplied parameters with the RDU for your drive are better than what you would get using a custom configuration, and a custom configuration, if present, would override the RDU-supplied parameters.

Way to tell is to look in

/Library/Preferences/Retrospect

to see if there is a .rdi (custom configuration) file. If so, quit Retrospect and move that file to the Desktop (so Retrospect won't find it, and so you can move it back if things go badly), then try to rebuild your catalog (as discussed above).

If you are able to rebuild the catalog from scratch from the 50 members of that backup set, you should be good to go.

Russ

• 2 months later...

So I'm back and even more frustrated. Because of time issues I didn't rebuild the set I was working with. I replaced my dvd burner with a new Pioneer 118L (didn't need to custom configure) and started a new set, which for the most part worked very well. Until two days ago. Basically the same scenario as last time. It asked for a new disk and copied files to them, then asked for the previous disk, which I put in. Then it asked for the latest disk it had just ejected prior. When I put it in, Retrospect did not recognize it! It gave me the "CONTENT NOT RECOGNIZED" message and would not eject the disk until I restarted my Mac. It is still not working right. Just when I thought all was well. Open to suggestions.

Sincerely,

Sir Speedy

So I'm back and even more frustrated. Because of time issues I didn't rebuild the set I was working with. I replaced my dvd burner with a new Pioneer 118L (didn't need to custom configure) and started a new set, which for the most part worked well. Until two days ago. Basically the same scenario as last time. It asked for a new disk and copied files to them, then asked for the previous disk, which I put in. Then it asked for the latest disk it had just ejected prior. When I put it in, Retrospect did not recognize it! It gave me the "CONTENT NOT RECOGNIZED" message and would not eject the disk until I restarted my Mac. It is still not working right. Just when I thought all was well. Open to suggestions.

Sincerely,

Sir Speedy

Again, I only use tape, but consider the possibility that the drive failed, or that you have a bad set of media, or that the drive needs cleaning.

Best way to tell would be to clean the drive (there are CD cleaner discs out there) and try to test with a new backup set. That would provide useful information.

I assume that nothing else has changed?

Russ

I replaced the Old Sony drive with a new Pioneer 118L. I'm using TDK dvd disks. I started a new backup set. (Please see previous post) I was at disk 18 when this happened. I have 5 GB memory on the the computer. It seem that when it has to go from one disk to a new disk and it ask to ?verify? between the newly filled disk and the new disk that there is some kind of write (or lack of) error. I can tell when a disk is messed up because you can see the "burn" on the disk whereas the disk it recognizes have no "burn" mark on them. Thank you for your help.