Sign in to follow this  
emulator

64-bit

We simply need to have Retrospect to have a 64-bit version. The current 32-bit version is simply not able to cope with large backup environments due to memory constraints.

BackupExec has a 64-bit version. This NEEDS to be the number one feature in the next release!

The main reason is assertion crashes due to memory issues. Other reasons include 1) the "white screen of death" when retrospect runs out of memory and 2) slower performance due to paging issues.

The main reason is assertion crashes due to memory issues.

Crashes are always bugs. :laugh:

1) the "white screen of death" when retrospect runs out of memory

I see this all the time. It's an old bug.

2) slower performance due to paging issues.

Not enough information to tell whether is a bug, or even a problem with Windows.

Sir...

PLEASE do not tell me why I don't need something. I have confirmed all of these issues with EMC, and they are all memory related issues.

Check out the Retrospective BLOG and you'll see that EMC is going to make Retrospect 7.7 64-bit. Apparently, there is a reason for this.

Edited by Guest

* Quote:

1) the "white screen of death" when retrospect runs out of memory

I see this all the time. It's an old bug.

I just saw this bug again. It turns out the machine's RAM was near max when it happened, so it could be a Windows bug and not Retrospect's.

I regularly see the white screen of death when Retrospect is working "hard". I'm fairly sure it has nothing to do with Retrospect's running out of RAM, but the inferior way Retrospect's UI interacts with the engine. When the engine is separated from the UI as it is under the Mac, I suspect it will just go away. :)

are you really trying tell us that your machine running out of RAM is a Windows bug?

It's certainly possible for a particular type of bug called a memory leak to run a machine out of RAM.

However, I'm not sure what that was, but I'm now more inclined to think it might even be an unrelated Retrospect bug because I don't think Retrospect needed that much RAM to do what I had it doing. I will investigate it further.

When the engine is separated from the UI as it is under the Mac, I suspect it will just go away.

Sounds like you are the perfect beta tester for the Windows version under development. Find those bugs before it is released...

Sounds like you are the perfect beta tester for the Windows version under development. Find those bugs before it is released...

You blew my cover :/