Amy,

I think I have figured out what exactly is happening with my "looping" Transfer problem.

It seems that while a regular backup session is smart enough to properly segment files across multiple member set disks, the Transfer mode seems not to. Instead, when it comes to the end of a destination disk it does the following:

1. Rewinds the source tape

2. Clocks the amount of megabytes transfered back to the amount previous to starting the current file. You can see this actually take place in the dialog on screen.

3. Requests a new disk and starts to transfer the same file from scratch.

If this file will fit on the new CD-ROM, then it writes the file and continues on its way. You move foward never realizing that you have wasted perhaps hundreds of megs of back up space.

Worse: In the case of my 800 meg file, which will never fit on a single 650 disk, it starts to back up, hits the end of the disk, asks for a new one, and starts again. Hence, the LOOPING problem I described a few weeks ago.

This is a really bad bug and has cost me great time and money. Could you confirm this and let me know how we can get it fixed. As mentioned, we have a lot of older sets to update.

Thanks,

Lance

We are aware of an issue where, when doing a backup set transfer of single files too large to fit on a single CD, the transfer will begin to loop. On a single 100 meg file, this should not occur, however, on a single 800+ meg file, you'll run into this issue. At this time, this has only been found to affect the Macintosh product, and only tape to CD transfer. We are already working on a fix for a future version of Retrospect.

To get past this issue, as much as possible, when setting up the Transfer, you can create a selector that _excludes_ files that are larger then a specified size. You can then restore the larger files (with a selector that _includes_ only the larger files) and back them up to your new media. We're sorry for any inconvenience this has caused.

Amy,

If this is a known problem, why did you not tell me about it when I first described the issues?

Now that I know it is a recognized bug, please answer the following questions if you could:

1. I will need to make a duplicate back up set for off-premises. Obviouosly I want to make it from my new CD set, not the tapes. Since the CD set has already worked out the segmenting issues, can I do a Transfer to a new CD set and assume the segmenting will no longer be a problem?

2. If not, is there a more direct way to duplicate CD member sets? Some kind of raw data dump using burning software perhaps? This would facilitate making dupes.

3. Are these issues being addressed for a near release update? As these features were supposed to work already when this version was purchased, what would the situation on upgrade costs be?

Thank you,

Lance

This issue has only been seen when transferring from tape to CD backup sets. Transferring from CD to CD should work fine.

Because other programs cannot read Retrospect written disks, it is not possible to use other programs to duplicate the CD's. You will need to use Retrospect to read this media.

We are looking into fixing this in a future release of Retrospect. We do not have dates available at this time. Customer service will be able to address upgrade cost questions when the issue is resolved.

Archived