Windows 7 bare metal restore

dnpeters

I have 6 months of backups on an external drive for my XP and Vista computers, and if I have a bad crash I understand I can restore everything by re-installing the operating systems and all updates, and Retrospect 7.6. In a few weeks many of us will be upgrading to Windows 7, and I'm wondering how the new operating system will affect the previous backups. If I need to do a complete restore will I only have to re-install Windows 7 and Retrospect? Or, will I have to re-install the operating system that was being used when the backups were made? Thanks for your help. - Dave

Thanks Robin, that's kind of what I thought. Aside from the new version, am I correct in thinking that after I install Windows 7 and successfully make the first Retrospect backup, I'll at least be able to restore to that latest backup should I have a major crash? Also, you've previously alluded to a new type of disaster recovery that would make a bare-metal restore easier for Vista computers that can't currently use a CD/DVD based recovery. Will that also be incorporated in what's coming? Again, thanks for all the help. - Dave

• 4 weeks later...

I just upgraded my XP laptop to the retail version of Windows 7 (Home Premium) and have been able to reinstall all my old XP programs, with one exception. The Retrospect 7.6 Client won't install (error code 1158?). Even though I know you're working on a Windows 7 release, I thought it might be possible to use the existing 7.6 for an interim backup, but it appears that's not possible, at least not on my Sony Vaio. I had intended to also upgrade my Vista desktop, but will probably now wait for your release, since it's very important to me to have at least one of my synchronized computers backed up, both locally and on Mozy. Please hurry, thanks and good luck. - Dave