vivocom

Hi everybody.

I've the following installation:

- Mac Pro 10.5.8. Retrospect 8 Console

- XServe 10.4.11. Retrospect 8 Engine

- XRAID 5,46TB

* Retrospect 8 License: Multi Server unlimited clients

- Tape Library: Tandberg T24

- Communication: Fiber channel (QLogic SANBox 5600)

The console can see the XServe and the Tandberg library without problems. I can operate it with simple commands: erase, move media, scan, load, unload, etc.

I've created a MediaSet (TEST01) and added one Tape (slot 1). As a result the tape is shown under the "Members" tab. But in the MediaSet summary, although the members section shows 1, the Used, Free and Capacity sections show 0 B. I've tried with different tapes, erasing them, verifying TEST01, repairing it... but no result. I simply can't do a backup until this problem is resolved.

I don't know if this might be a hint, but we managed to see a MediaSet of 5 tapes showing the right information. We had to uninstall/reinstall everything and after a full scan, the tapes yet showed the old MediaSets (???). We've been working on this envirnonment so far... (maybe there's a way to completely erase this info).

Any help will be welcomed!

Thanks in advance.

Andrés

Hi Mayoff.

Thanks for your quick response.

I've first tried to stop and start the Engine, without result: no capacity. However, the member tape shows the correct used space (0GB) and free space (782GB).

I've also tried to do a simple Backup (12,5MB) using the Wizard. Retrospect 8 Console scans the whole volume (around 3800GB) and then makes a snapshot of the set of files chosen in the browser window. The Backup was completed with 5 execution errors, related to 5 directories which weren't found in the volume. I've deleted them. Here is the log:

=====

+ using Backup Assistant - 24/09/09 16:56 at 9/24/2009 4:56 PM (Execution unit 1)

To Media Set TEST04...

- 9/24/2009 4:56:38 PM: Copying Datos

MapError: unknown Mac error 93

While scanning volume Datos,

Folder /Volumes/Datos/Temporal/Musica/Anterior/LMCrono/Lori Meyers - Cronolánea (2008)/...,

> Scanning incomplete, error -1101 ( file/directory not found)

Folder /Volumes/Datos/Temporal/Musica/Anterior/vetusta morla/un día en el mundo 2008/...,

Folder /Volumes/Datos/Temporal/Musica/Anterior/Vers?/...,

Folder /Volumes/Datos/Temporal/Musica/Anterior/Versão Nacional do CSS - WWW.MILSIC.BLOGSPOT.COM/...,

Folder /Volumes/Datos/Temporal/Musica/2009/Putirecords/Que No Muera El Cabaret Erótico/...,

9/24/2009 5:36:33 PM: Snapshot stored, 83.7 MB

9/24/2009 5:36:41 PM: Comparing Datos

9/24/2009 5:36:49 PM: 5 execution errors

Completed: 46 files, 12.5 MB

Performance: 88.0 MB/minute (62.3 copy, 187.0 compare)

Duration: 00:40:10 (00:39:53 idle/loading/preparing)

=====

After that, a second Backup of 15,1GB was launched. It was needed to go through a new whole volume scan. After copying 11,4GB to the tape, Retrospect asked for new media to complete the task (there's a set-of-tapes icon with a question mark on it in the Activities section). In this case, there's a noticeable error. The log:

=====

+ using Backup Assistant - 24/09/09 17:55 at 9/24/2009 5:56 PM (Execution unit 1)

To Media Set TEST04...

- 9/24/2009 5:56:31 PM: Copying Datos

>

!Trouble writing: "1-TEST04" (3733127168), error -100 ( device rejected command)

!Trouble writing media:

"1-TEST04"

error -100 ( device rejected command)

=====

I've the feeling that the 0B capacity issue and this "Trouble writing" are related.

Perhaps I'm missing some important config info from old installations that is affecting the MediaSets: the first time I installed Retrospect it was done in two XServe (I'm just using one of them now). They are working in active-active mode to control de XSAN-XRaid. The XSAN is currently being managed by the XServe that has not installed Retrospect. Could be this the cause?

Thank you!

Andrés

PD: I forgot to specify what is the Retrospect version used: 8.1.526 downloaded from http://download.dantz.com/archives/Retrospect_EN-81526.dmg.

The library is a Tandberg T24. Here are the specs obtained from the web panel:

==LIBRARY==

Vendor ID: EXABYTE

Product ID: MAGNUM 224

Serial Number: 000089009664

Firmware Rev: C270

WWNN: 200100d08051d370

==DRIVE==

Vendor ID: IBM

Product ID: ULTRIUM-TD4

Serial Number: 1310147713

Firmware Rev: 85V3

WWNN: 5005076312050d8e

The XServe running Retrospect Engine and Mac OS X Serve 10.4.11 is a 2 x 2GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon.

Ok. I just wanted to make sure that you had a supported LTO drive (appears you do):

Retrospect supported devices - TD4

and that you weren't running into PPC byte-swapping bugs (you aren't).

I can't for the life of me match your firmware versions with the downloads on the Tandberg (Exabyte) firmware update page, though:

Tandberg (Exabyte) T24 firmware

The downloads look a bit dated - I haven't seen any updates on anything since Tandberg bought out Exabyte.

Russ

Edited by Guest

Thank you, Russ.

I've uninstalled Retrospect Engine from XServe2 and installed the package in XServe1 (XSAN current manager). I've also added this Retrospect Server to the Retrospect Console by using the root password, not the Administrator one. I'm scanning the whole library now (it will take around 40min.) and after that a member addition will be tried. Let's see what happens.

I'll keep you informed.

Regards.

Hello again, Russ.

I can update the library and driver firmware from the Tandberg web panel. The files are hosted in a FTP location: 161.81.7.101.

Library update:

Current Revision: C270

It offers: V1C270.TFW

Driver update:

Current Revision: 85V3

It offers:

IBFHL4FC_74H6.FMR

IBFHL4FC_77BE.FMR

IBFHL4FC_85V3.FMR

I'm not sure if the current versions are the latest.

Regards,

Andrés

I can update the library and driver firmware from the Tandberg web panel. The files are hosted in a FTP location: 161.81.7.101.

; <<>> DiG 9.3.6-APPLE-P2 <<>> -x 161.81.7.101 ptr
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 10866
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;101.7.81.161.in-addr.arpa. IN PTR

;; ANSWER SECTION:
101.7.81.161.in-addr.arpa.  38399  IN  PTR ftp.exabyte.com.

Looks valid.

That FTP site is interesting, seems to have later firmware, at least for our drive, than the outdated firmware on the Tandberg web site (which is a year older than the FTP site's firmware).

There is a "latest" folder for each drive and library that has the most recent firmware.

Russ

Edited by Guest
Tandberg FTP site is more recent than web site

Thank you, Russ.

I'm trying to remember what was done in the first installation. This problem was not present then. I saw how the guys who were testing the system could add several tapes to the MediaSet and how the MediaSet capacity was growing with each tape.

I'm planning to make a full stop of the XSan and start again from the very beginning. Hopefully I'll come with good news on Monday.

Regarding the Fibre subject: I just found a post in the Apple Support site that could be useful for this case. How to config QLogic swithes to work with Apple Fibre Channel Cards. Maybe you are right and the problem lies there.

Regards.

• 2 weeks later...

Good news!

I've narrowed the problem and I can confirm that this issue corresponds to a Retrospect bug that should be resolved in the next built/version.

Below the Hardware configuration used:

- Mac Pro 10.5.8.

- 2 x XServe 10.4.11.

- XRAID 5,46TB

- Tape Library: Tandberg T24

- Communication: Fiber channel (QLogic SANBox 5600)

The XServes and the XServe RAID communicates through the QLogic SANBox 5600. The Tandberg library is directly attached to the XServe 2. I've followed the instructions from the Tandberg official site: http://www.tandbergdata.com/us/fileadmin/Apple_Files/FC-INTEGRATION_2008webFINAL.pdf

======

TEST 1

- Retrospect Console 8.1.526 installed in the Mac Pro 10.5.8.

- Retrospect Engine 8.1.525.1 installed in the XServe 2

- Retrospect license: Multi Server Unlimited clients

Issue: I can add members to the Tape MediaSet, but the MediaSet shows 0 B in all its fields (free, used, capacity, etc.). 'Members' field shows the current number of members. The backup action fails and the log presents this data:

!Trouble writing: "1-TEST04" (3733127168), error -100 ( device rejected command)

!Trouble writing media:

"1-TEST04"

error -100 ( device rejected command)

======

TEST 2

- Retrospect Console 8.0.736.1 installed in the Mac Pro 10.5.8.

- Retrospect Engine 8.0.733.1 installed in the XServe 2

- Retrospect license: Multi Server Unlimited clients

No issue. The free/used/capacity space is correctly updated with every new tape. I've done two backups so far with success: a 2,5GB and a 120GB.

======

CONCLUSION

The latest version (package 8.1.526) shows a problem that WAS NOT PRESENT in the previous version.