Drive full of backups, but only 1 restore point

wbingham

I have a Western Digital MyBook drive that has been performing backups for a few months. The drive is almost full and we need to recover the contents of all of the backups. I've upgraded to Backup Express HD 2.5, but when I access the drive it doesn't show any more than one restore point.

I've looked at the files in the Retrospect Restore Points\Retrospect\RestorePoint\1-RestorePoint folder and they vary in dates from 6/29/2009 back to 5/11/2008 (all .rdb files).

I've been able to generate a new rbc file (which took a few hours) and it is 56 MB in size. When I try to restore that one restore point, it simply restores a few basic files (about 30 MB) and not the data I need. It doesn't show any other files as being available.

What do I need to do? How can I get this data back into a form I can use?

Warren Bingham

If you do a test restore, the software can only restore files that you have selected from the list (unless you tell it to restore an entire restore point). I would suggest browsing that list of files and see what is displayed.

If you have any doubts about the backup or think it is corrupted, then you may want to consider erasing the restore points folder and just starting over with a brand new set of backups (unless you are in need of a restore right now)

I tried a complete restore, and the only files it listed were a small number of the total files which should be backed up.

I can't erase everything and start again because I need that data. I just can't figure out how to access it since in doesn't show up in the restore point and there are no other restore points.

Warren

Robin,

I tried a complete restore, and the only files it listed were a small number of the total files which should be backed up. I have about 440 Gigabytes of rdb files and a regenerated RestorePoint.rbc files about 56 Mb in size.

I can't erase everything and start again because I need that data. I just can't figure out how to access it since in doesn't show up in the restore point and there are no other restore points.

When I did a full restore, it gave me 272 MB of data that was from one point in time, but I have rdb files dated before that restore point and most of them after. How do I get to that data???

Warren