Long delay before starting backup to disk

JoeK

My Retrospect Express for Windows XP has a long delay (5 to 9 minutes) before starting a normal backup to a 2nd hard drive ("File" type backup set). During this time, the program is hitting the target disk continuously, and creates a temporary file there named .rbf.rfc. the file is removed by the program. This long delay happens only the first time a backup script is run after the PC is booted or Windows restarted. There is no delay for any subsequent backups (until the machine is rebooted, which is every day for me). For an external 50 GB USB HD the delay was 9 minutes. For an internal 180 GB SATA HD, the delay is 5 minutes.

I have used several versions of Retrospect & Retrospsect Express on a Mac and never had this problem. This is my first experience using Retrospect on Windows. My version is old - Express V5.6.132 from 10/25/2001 with the most recent driver update V3.1 rdu.rpx dated 7/12/02. This old version does all I need, except for the irritating long delay every day. I don't want to buy a current version only to discover the same delay exists. So can anyone tell me the cause of the long delay? and how to avoid it?