Upgraded to 7.6 - Why do I have 2 C: drives?

Ikmar

After I upgraded from 7.0 to 7.6 I had to edit my scripts and recreate my subvolumes for Drive C: because the old "local disk C:" isn't "online" but the new one is.

I read in other places in the forum that I should "forget" my old drive, but why does it do that? Why can't 7.6 realize the two drives are really the same?

Dave

C'mon guys. I hope you're joking. I'm backing up my local disk C: drive - how many C: drives can you have on one machine?

And No the drive has not been changed, renamed, reformatted, resized or re-anything.

7.0 worked fine and listed only one C: drive.

I installed 7.6 which imported the 7.0 settings and now I have 2 drives of the same name - and the top one is not available.

C'mon guys. I hope you're joking. I'm backing up my local disk C: drive - how many C: drives can you have on one machine?

No, I wasn't joking. Something that is being reported to Retrospect when it looks at the specifics for the volume seems to make it think that it's a different volume. Retrospect tries very hard not to overwrite your past backups and to get the sources straight even if the volume becomes mounted as a different drive.

And No the drive has not been changed, renamed, reformatted, resized or re-anything.

Ok. But something seems to have changed as far as Retrospect can tell. Easiest thing at this point might be just to delete the unavailable drive and move on.

Russ

If you can not browse a disk from Configure>Volumes then you need to forget that volume in order to clear out Retrospect. I have never seen active subvolumes appear below a drive letter that cold not be browsed. Unless you have 100's of subvolumes, I would suggest you forget the back disk and do any needed reconfiguring of subvolumes.

The subvolumes don't show as active in the drive that can't be browsed, but when I forget that same drive it tries to forget both the C: drives (because it really is the same drive).

So, to forget the one C: drive I'll have to reset all the subvolumes (again) and scripts. Since my incremental backup will become a full backup again, I'll wait until it's full backup day.

Okay. But when I put 7.6 onto my server - and edited my scripts to look at the 'new' subvolumes. My incremental backup did a full backup that night. And yes, the settings of the script are correct -- I checked them.

I'm just assuming it'll do the same thing again.

Edited by Guest