6.0 fails upgrade NOR return to prior version

APPARENT SEMI-SERIOUS BUG: It appears the present 6.0 release (at least Server/Multi-Server), when used to upgrade, if canceled midway, looses the fact that it is an upgrade on reinstall (so you apparently loose your settings). And, even if then subsequently removed, prevents the prior version (at least 5.6 & 5.5) from being reinstalled (I get "Rolling Back Action" during every reinstall attempt of 5.6 & 5.5)... so you can't run Retrospect at all.

What's wrong? When to be fixed?

Most importantly, what's workaround in the meantime? How do I get some operative version installed? And how do I transfer back in (and, if 6.0, upgrade) my prior settings? (I did make a backup copy of the the prior 5.6 program directory just before all this, but don't quite know how to import the settings from that.)

EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENED: I've been running Retrospect 5.6 Server w/ all updates on Windows 2000 Advanced Server sp3 with all updates. Wanting to take the new Retrospect 6.0 Server/Multi-Server for a spin, I started installing it, and it detected my previous version and then started upgrading. But then I realized I wasn't quite ready to run the new version for some reason, so and I pressed cancel, and it rolled-back the install and told me no changes were done to my system.

However, something was changed. For when I went to reinstall it again when I was ready, it didn't notice the prior installation and just installed it as if were a fresh install. But it wouldn't let me run it since needed a new license #, possibly because, not being a proper upgrade, it hadn't picked up our prior NFR license # from 5.6 (would that have been good enough anyway? Either way, I put in an order for 6.0).

No problem, I uninstalled it successfully, to go back to my prior version. But when I then reinstalled 5.6 (and even 5.5), it would go maybe 75% thru the installation, doing stuff as `Copying files', `Creating shortcuts', then `Registering' something or another I think, then, poof!, it would immediately say "Rolling Back Action" and undo everything it had done.

I was able to reinstall 6.0 with no problem, but still didn't have a license code (yet); and even when it comes, How to transfer my settings, when the prior version is no longer detected?

SO THE SITUATION: Now I am stuck with no way to backup! Unless, presumably, I started over, by reinstalling the OS (yuck!) or installing on another Server, or wait until 6.0 license arrives,... one of which is what I guess is going to have to be, unless there is some quick fix to get rid of whatever's causing this "Rolling Back Action"....

And in all cases, because the prior 5.6 install seems lost, How do I transfer or upgrade my settings? (I did save a copy of the Retrospect 5.6 program directory before the upgrade, but how do I make use of this?)

I wanted to let you know of these possible bugs in 6.0: (1) if, during an upgrade, the install is canceled, the next install won't detect the prior version. And, (2), after this, or maybe in any case, once 6.0 is removed, the prior version (at least 5.5 & 5.6) can't be reinstalled.

And, most immediately, I want to figure out what I need to do to get some version of Retrospect running again, without having to recreate (and remember!) all my hours of work developing selectors, backup sets, and other settings.

Thanks kindly, -Mike Parker

PS: These new forums look pretty cool! And, *quite* feature rich! Painfully seeing the need this, I'm pleased to see that my unintentionally-notorious though good-spirited attempt to create some sort web-searchable discussions back in November (the unofficial http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Dantz-Retrospect/ ...which even got Larry Zulch's attention!), seems to "coincidentally" prompted Dantz, just 2 months later, to do the right thing ;-) And it appears this forum's creators have done an absolute bang-up job!

The files you need to retain your old settings are called Config_55.dat and Config_55.bak, in addition to your catalog files.

Run the uninstaller to completely remove the Retrospect application from your comptuer. Reboot and install a fresh copy of Retrospect 6.0. Once installed, move the above mentioned config files to the following directory: C:/Documents and Settings/All Users/Application Data/Retrospect. Launch Retrospect and type in your new Retrospect 6.0 license code (the 5.6 code will not work). You should have all your scripts and settings back.

• 3 years later...

Thanks; this fixed the problem.

Moreover, I see in my present version 7.0.326 (MultiServer),

• These (important) customization & log files now seem to be more appropriately stored in "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Retrospect".

• this version now has a built-in selector "Retrospect Files" which finds all these Retrospect customization files (as config??.{dat,bak}) plus critical files as operations_log.utx (*.utx) whereever they're stored. One bug, though, in this selector: "Config70.dat" is listed twice, and "Config70.bak" is missing.

On this Dantz's "Retrospect Files" selector

• When will this get fixed?

• To fix this myself, I could modify Dantz selector easily enough, but then I don't (if modified) if the selector will be upgraded when you fix this selector (and, most importantly, extend it: say to include "Config80.dat"); correct? ( If so, you should put a such a warning when attempt to modify Dantz's selectors: `Don't modify Dantz supplied selectors - instead define and use your own extensions of them (referencing instead of modifying Dantz selectors), so Dantz selectors can still be updated by Dantz.' Sound good? ) In this vein, instead I defined my own selector "MBP Retrospect Files" which only references Dantz selector (so should pick up updates) and adds the missing "Config70.bak". Sound good?

-Mike Parker, www.Cytex.com

Archived