Retrospect Launcher not launching on Win7

JEtkins

I recently upgraded my workstation from Vista Ultimate x64 to Windows 7 Ultimate x64 RTM. I run Retrospect Professional on this machine, backing up to two rotating backup sets on my NAS.

Since the upgrade, the automated backups are no longer firing off at their scheduled times. If I manually start Retrospect, the scheduled executions start running immediately.

The launcher service is running under the local system account, and appears to be running fine; it's just not firing off the scheduled backups. (They do run on schedule if I leave Retrospect open.)

Perhaps this is related to another oddity I noticed today: despite my Preferences being set to run Retrospect under a specific user account, that no longer appears to be happening. Where previously the log would show

+ Retrospect version 7.6.123

Launched at 8/25/2009 10:03 AM in user account JonsPC\jon

+ Driver Update and Hot Fix, version 7.6.2.101

it now shows simply

+ Retrospect version 7.6.123

Launched at 9/9/2009 11:02 AM

+ Driver Update and Hot Fix, version 7.6.2.101

Any suggestions welcomed.

• 4 weeks later...

Hopefully, then, this thread will report the solution to this problem once Win7 is released on 22 October. From that date on, Windows 7 is the version of Windows that will ship with most new computers, so I'm really hoping that this problem will find a quick solution.

For what it's worth, I think the problem relates to the UAC-caused issue that people have been experiencing with Vista and Retrospect. I'm not sure whether there's a way of turning UAC off on Win 7 that solves the problem. There may be, but UAC is much less obtrusive under Windows 7 (compared to Vista) so I want to have it enabled. We need a solution that allows a PC running Windows 7 to spend most of its time logged in as a limited account, with UAC enabled, and scheduled backups still run and can be monitored from the desktop.

Windows XP, whilst still supported by MSFT, is soon to be two versions old. Please, EMC, can we have Retrospect 7 such that we can take advantage of the security features of Vista and Win7 and still use Retrospect with the useability we enjoyed under XP?

I've got Retro Pro 7.6 installed on a Win7 RC1 box. I have the UAC option slider cranked to the bottom (not clear if that completely disables UAC or just suppresses all warnings). On that PC, Retro was able to autolaunch and run. I didn't manually set any registry values & reboot, another way to turn UAC off completely.

I have the latest version of Retrospect loaded on a Windows 7-32 bit(build 7100 RC1) machine and it is backing up 2 other clients, a Windows 7 64-bit machine and a windows XP machine. I have no problems at the present time but am anxiously waiting for the release of a new version of Retrospect.

Bill: What settings do you have for UAC on your Win 7 32-bit box to get the scheduling to work like this?

Got it to work in windows 7 64 bit thanks to this thread. Go into user account control and slide the slider all the way down. A warning goes into action center that you must reboot to turn off user account control. Re-boot and Retrospect will work again. Turns out that it was still running my scheduled runs. Thanks for the tips.

I've had no problem running Retrospect in Win 7 64-bit RC. It launches on schedule, too, and I made no changes to UAC.

However, scheduled activity is invisible to the user, and the Activity Monitor doesn't work. It displays an empty window with horizontal lines and no text; the power button is orange. Evidently it can't communicate with the Retrospect process at all. In the event of a media change this is fatal.

• 4 weeks later...

However, scheduled activity is invisible to the user, and the Activity Monitor doesn't work. It displays an empty window with horizontal lines and no text; the power button is orange. Evidently it can't communicate with the Retrospect process at all. In the event of a media change this is fatal.

This problem has been well documented on Vista, although never acknowledged as a product issue by Dantz. See this thread. I work around it, painfully, by configuring Retrospect to send me email when it needs media.

Keeping my fingers crossed for 7.7.

-- Pete

Pete, simply FYI, Dantz hasn't existed for over five years. See:

EMC acquires Dantz in 2004

Russ

I knew that. It's just that I've been using and recommending Retrospect since the early '90s, and it's hard to stop using the company name that was for a long time synonymous with it. ;)

Hopefully people that read my posts realize that I'm not being critical for the sake of being critical. I really am trying to improve Retrospect.