Grooming destroy my Media Set

Florent

Good morning,

One of my media set configured to use the default Retrospect grooming policy was full and doesn't accept more backup. Strange thing, because the default policy was here to never get this message. So I clicked on "Groom" manually on the media set list, after a long long time, Retrospect return me a strange message and my Media Set was gone. Please check the attached files.

I'm using the build 150 after a clean install on 10.5.8 Server.

Regards,

Florent

The "busy" screen on the media set -- while a groom is going on -- is normal I believe. I think the media set is "locked" while you are grooming, so you can't modify it manually during the groom.

Your picture 1, though, I've never seen for a groom, but I've not had a reason to try to groom a "full" set yet.

How large, percentage wise, is that Backup Set? 100% of the available disk space? You can have serious performance issues when you set it up like that. Personally I wouldn't set is beyond 90% of available disk space. And you have to make sure your other (possible) Backup Sets are also taken into account. The aggregate percentage of what they can take up as a maximum shouldn't be set to exceed ±90% of available hard disk space.

I found this valid for Retrospect 7.6 for Windows. Unless Retrospect 8 for Macintosh works completely different it should also be taken into account there.

You could "stop" the engine -- that will stop the groom action.

I've been told by Engineers that if you actually have to stop the groom action, you should rebuild the catalog before you attempt another groom. I'd probably do that in your situation.

Also, if your catalog file is on the same disk as your media set, consider saving the catalog file to a different disk before your rebuild the catalog.

And *then* try grooming again?

If I would run into this kind of problem I usually recycle the backup in question. I always work with at least an A and B set, so I have something left while the other backup builds up.

Depending on your needs, that might be an option for you too...

When Retrospect for Windows first featured grooming, there were many problems. It took them some time to solve those but generally it works quite well now.

I think I had something similar happen once.

Try this: stop the engine, then *move* the catalog file for that media set out of it's normal location.

Then when you start, the script should not run because it can't find the catalog.

Then you can delete the script, put the catalog back and go from there...

Good morning Maser,

Thanks for the tips, it's working fine now. I understand where was my problem. I put the catalog and the backup files on the same drive with a maximum capacity used by the media set of 99%. So when the disk was full, It was impossible to write the catalog file and I was blocked in this infernal loop.

Regards,

Florent

• 3 weeks later...

Hi! With regards to the 90% disk space usage suggestion, what type of performance are you talking about here? Speed, reliability?

Why does Retrospect default to 99% I wonder if it's not optimal. I have clients with Retrospect 6.x, 7.x and 8 and I'm anxious to improve reliability any way I can! Ty

• 2 weeks later...

Good morning,

This week-end my media set was full again. I see that Retrospect tried to groom the disk, but the same issue persist. My Retro Engine fails and my media set member was lost again.

This time I'm trying to rebuilt the catalog first, but this is exactly the same issue as the first time. So, is the grooming option working ?

Regards,

Florent

This week-end my media set was full again. I see that Retrospect tried to groom the disk, but the same issue persist. My Retro Engine fails and my media set member was lost again.

This time I'm trying to rebuilt the catalog first, but this is exactly the same issue as the first time. So, is the grooming option working ?

I'm using the build 150 after a clean install on 10.5.8 Server.

If you are still using build 150, which is the only version of Retrospect you have reported in this thread, there have been several bug fix releases since then. I suggest you update your engine and console to the current version and try again.

Russ

No, i'm using the last one ;-)

Still unclear what version you are using.

Do you mean Retrospect engine 8.1.622 and Retrospect console 8.1.622 released October 8, 2009?

I'm really not trying to be difficult here. These posts last for years, and, down the road, when someone else is trying to solve their problem, "the last one" doesn't mean anything.

Russ